cleaning your airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sangwitch

Reaction score
I'm probably the only one who never thought about this, but...

I use the 'S' or bubble airlocks (whatever they're called) and up until tonight I was cleaningthem by dunking them and then covering the openings with my fingers and shaking the cleaning solution around as best I could.

But the small end that goes into the bung fits nicely into the end of the racking/syphon tube so now I just attach the airlock to the end of the hose and blast the cleaning solution and/or sanitizer through.

simple.

You can't do that sangwitch. It's way too rational and easy. You are going to have to come up with something that is challenging and damn near impossible to accomplish. You do not want to give the unlearned the impression that making their own wines at home can be easy...WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???
smiley36.gif

Great idea..
smiley20.gif

Glad to see your familarface Waldo!And yes, be kind to us! It is because of your expertise that we come and browse this forum to be educated in the advancement of your educational tutoring in wine. Whew!
smiley23.gif
smiley2.gif

jsmahoney said:
Glad to see your familarface Waldo!And yes, be kind to us! It is because of your expertise that we come and browse this forum to be educated in the advancement of your educational tutoring in wine. Whew!
smiley23.gif
smiley2.gif
Oh I was wondering why i visit this place.

Ill bet the pretty ladies are a better reason though.

OK OK so its the pretty wines
smiley17.gif

Waldo said:
You can't do that sangwitch. It's way too rational and easy. You are going to have to come up with something that is challenging and damn near impossible to accomplish. You do not want to give the unlearned the impression that making their own wines at home can be easy...WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???
smiley36.gif

Great idea..
smiley20.gif

How long have you been making wine?

Scotty, You're not a flirt, are you?
smiley2.gif

The cleaning idea is wonderful! Thanks for sharing.
I have been known to drop those dirty air locks into a tall glass with some disolved 1-step and ignore them for a couple of hrs. That can also help. And if they're really bad, I know how to drop them into File 13.

"Scotty, You're not a flirt, are you?"

Yes but i only spoke the truth this time
smiley31.gif
smiley15.gif

And its always amazing to me that in spite of my vastencylopedia of knowledge and superior wine making skills that a newbie can come along and show me something new, better and quicker about making wines...well, maybeI dont havean encylopedia and not really that vast a knowledge but i do know to use a hydrometer !!!
smiley36.gif

I just spent an hour looking for this post. It was time well spent. I like simple methods. Thanks. I just finished racking my 2nd gallon ever and am really enjoying this quiet, new hobby.(I just had to use this new word racking somewhere. It sounds so much more sophisticated than pouring.I have decided to use 1/2 gallon jugs instead of wine bottles. I think they will be easier to clean and less tipsy. Now I need to keep busy and make sure that I have enough wine on hand at least for me. No-one else in the family drinks wine. (lucky me.
smiley2.gif
) Anyway, thanks for sharing this idea.
regards,
harry

Back