Cleaning and Sanitizing Products

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qyhcat

Reaction score
I have been using One Step and Kmeta respectively with success. However, I keep seeing other products available such as PBW and StarSan.

I did not see a difference in price between OneStep and PBW yet it seems that PBW requires rinsing. Any feedback on these two? Any preference and why? Are there alternatives closer to home like Oxycleaners that will do the same w/o rinsing and a better price?

On the sanitizer, I understand that StarSan has the added benefit of not leaving potassium when it dries out. However, it reads that a one minute contact time is required. IF so, then how is this contact time achieved with the injector, which is one or two sprays? Just by letting sit for one minute will do? Any light is appreciated.

I have been using one step and just switched to PBW, for no real reason other than it's what was available when I went shopping. I rinsed the no rinse cleaner so for me, there is no difference. As far as sanitization, i've only always used starsan. I suppose it's a matter of preference, but it's worked really well for me so far. When doing bottles, I use the injector (which at times could get quite foamy) but then just let the bottles sit on the drying rack and it achieves it's minute of contact time. I like seeing the foam...it makes me comfortable with knowing what gets "touched". I think I'm one of the few here that use starsan however, seems that kmeta is the usual route.

OK--well, let me take a stab at this.

I am entering my 25th year of winemaking. Of the MILLIONS of bottles I've washed---the TONS of vats and carboys I've cleaned, I've always used a proprietary cleaning agent that the local wine supply shop sells. Then for sanitizing, using metabisulfite solution which should not be rinsed. I think this is the easiest way to manage sanitizing, since you are also using meta for preservation anyway.

I don't like the idea of using---what is used for cleaning--to also be used for sanitizing. It's not the way I started out in the hobby because all these crazy cleaners weren't even on the market then. For me---use any of the equipment cleaners that are out there, but use meta for sanitizing and you won't have any problems.

I use Sun Oxygen cleaner from Walmart to clean bottles, equipment and to remove lables. It works great. $5.59 for 6lbs. I ALWAYS use kmeta spray or rinse to sanitize EVERYTHING that touches the wine. Including my hands.

That Sun Oxiclean sounds great, thanks. Do you rinse after cleaning or it is also air dry? If rinse, do you use tap water or filtered chlorine free?

thanks

Latest posts

Back