Cider Bombs "potential"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueStimulator

Reaction score
So after I had a great Daddy/Daughter night out, dinner, movie and desert after. Trying to teach a 13 year old how she should be treated and how to treat others when going out on the town. Not that I will allow that hat to happen for oh 10 or so years. ;-)

At 10pm I decided to bottle the pear cider 3 gallons, pear honey cider 3 gallons and the pear brown sugar again 3 gallons. I added 1 tsp of corn sugar to each 12 oz bottle 2 cases and 1.5 tsp to the flip top 16 oz bottles again 2 cases. I did this from memory which may have fooled me again. They are all currently in my shop between 60 and 65 degrees. I plan on checking them every 3-4 days for carbonation.

So did I add to much and should I worry about bottle bombs?

If I did add to much priming sugar could pasteurization save my behind. What is the best, easiest and most efficient way to pasteurize. I read about the dishwasher method has any body used this?

Could I also when the proper carbonation level is reached, release the pressure by uncapping and rebottle capping the long necks and uncap the flip tops to do the same.

Am I screwed and dumping is my only option?

I am such a newbie and you all have been such a great help to me, any advice is greatly appreciated.

That sounds like to much suger to me. However I truly have not a clue....
Sooo, check them every few days and drink them fast!
Pasteurization is not recamended for wines. It changes the flavors.
Personally I would dump the wine in a bucket and let it ferment some. Assuming it looks like there is too much pressure building up. Better safe then sorry.

I have not put sugar in a bottle for carbing in quite a while but I feel like I used 1.5 tsp per liter, which would mean you're using double the right amount.

I would probably get it back into carboys and try again in a week or two if it were me. A bottling bucket will help, so you can calculate your priming sugar by total volume vs. per bottle.

Your on the high side, somewhere around 3 to 3.2 volumes of CO2, but the problem is that a teaspoon is a rough measurement. The kind of bottles you are using make a difference, you are close to the limit for standard beer bottles, they should hold, but the heavier style bottles would be a better choice.

Latest posts

Back