Chokecherries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
My chokecherry trees are just about ready to be picked.

Probably another week or two.

Anybody else have chokecherries ready??

They usually ripen in August - but i guess the warm weather they will ripen a bit earlier..

There a few ripe now - they taster pretty good - great tannin structure..

We have chokecherries that edge the field across the road, I haven't gone to check on them lately, guess I better.

Just picked about 2#'s of chokecherries.

Have to wait for the rest to ripen.

Had to pick or the birds would clean me out...

Still green as grass here in northern Mn.....Looks like a good crop coming.......As far picking them, let them get as ripe as you can...will help with the sharp taste IMO....

Still green as grass here in northern Mn.....Looks like a good crop coming.......As far picking them, let them get as ripe as you can...will help with the sharp taste IMO....

I totally agree - but the ones i picked - tasted pretty darn good. They were ripe all right.

The ones towards the inside of the tree aren't as ripe - guess the way the sun hits them.

does anybody have a picture of choke cherries so that i will know what to look for?

does anybody have a picture of choke cherries so that i will know what to look for?
I've never seen a chokecherry, but according to Google they look like this.
Chokecherry.jpg

Picked another 2-3 #'s.

Going to try and get some more this weekend - if the birds don't eat them first!!!

Lol, I sent the maintence techs out on a reconnaissance mission for choke cherries. The trees on school district property are loaded but still green. So I have a few weeks, I'll send them back out in about 2 weeks.

Take your camera! I planted some this year after reading about how good you guys say chokecherry wine is, had to put them in 4 foot long growtubes to keep the deer off of them and they have already shot out the top, they keep growing like this and we might be picking next year. Cracked

I have four trees in my yard which I just discovered have fruit on them, which look like this. One of the trees is heavily shaded and all of the berries are still light pea green but look exactly what the other trees looked like in their early stages. I never really paid much attention to the trees in my yard, but I would've noticed fruit--even DH does not recall any fruit from these trees in the past. I will take them to County Extension Office for identification, but what do you all think...are they chokecherries perhaps?

chokecherries 7.4.12.jpg

The cherries are begining to ripen here can I freeze them till I have enough?

Checked the tree at the vineyard, lots of green ones, and lots of missing ones...birds are getting them pretty quick. Tree is on the large side to try and net. Jon, if you want to keep an eye on it you can have them.

Yippee! I have chokecherries. And I have one tree still completely green. Going to net that tree to the best of my ability! Husband has been telling me, you know those are poisonous right? He wants to cut them down...no way now.

Checked the tree at the vineyard, lots of green ones, and lots of missing ones...birds are getting them pretty quick. Tree is on the large side to try and net. Jon, if you want to keep an eye on it you can have them.

Thanks Doug - but I think i have enough for what I am going to do this year.

Maybe next year!!

Brill its been raining quite alot here wish it would stop as itching to pick them cherries!

Latest posts

Back