Choke cherries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane

Junior
Reaction score
Alight so I make wine every year out of concord grapes by crushing them adding hot water letting them sit a few days on the mash then racking into 5 gallon carboys adding some suger and yeast then I rack it when I feel it's a good time and when it's finished bubbling I bottle it reading a couple posts on here apparently I'm doing it wrong? Anyway I've been picking choke cherries the past few days and was looking to make wine out of them I have 60 pounds of them so can someone help me out I got a recipe from my grandfather but I don't know how much its suppose to make or what the measurements are as this is all it said though

image.jpg

Shane
Please remember these old recipes were not written for modern fermenter sizes. They were just a recipe someone worked out by trial and error and were fermented in a crock jar. Sugar was continually added in small amounts until the yeast died of alcohol toxicity and the desired sweetness of the wine was achieved.
Chokecherries do not contain large amounts of juice so the recipe you have would give you around 5 to 5 1/2 quarts of must without the seeds and skins.
I have never made Chokecherry wine so I am not sure if you need to cold macerate for five to six days. If I were making this wine I would pour the boiling water over the fruit. Mash the chokecherries to break the skins. After the must has cooled to room temperature I would then add one teaspoon of peptic enzyme and one Camden tablet per gallon of must. The peptic will help extract color and flavor and should shorten the cold maceration time to three days.
I would also delete the burnt toast. I'm not sure what this is for but you could infect your wine with a bacteria or mold if the bread is not sterile. The rest of the recipe looks ok .

Hope this helps?
John

IF you freeze the fruit first, it helps break it down as it ferments. I would freeze, put in strainer bags, (you can get them at a paint store for straing 5 gal. buckets of paint) and place in the primary to thaw. With that much fruit, you will probably need a large container or two or more small ones. While thawing, pitch in pectic enzime according to the instructions on the container, a day or so later, I would add k-meta (campden tablets are the same thing only have to be crushed) wait a day and add water. I would probably add 6 gal. or so. Now you need a hydrometer, measure the specific gravity and add enough sugar to bring the specific gravity up to 1.085 or so. Now you can measure the acid, add if needed, add nutrients, I would add half now and the other half when the must gets down to a s.g. of 1.050 or so. I also usually start with some yeast energizer. Half the dosage up front and half with the rest of the nutrient. You can add some tannin at the beginning, but I think C.Cherries have enough of their own tannin in them. Get the temp of the must up to 70 degrees or so and pitch the yeast. This is all being done in an open container, I use either buckets or a brute garbage can that is dedicated to making wine. Lots of room in there. I also put a towel over the container and just set the lid on it. Helps keep any bugs, junk, and maybe the cat out. After a couple of days or so, the ferment should take off. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. When it gets going, stir the must once or twice a day. Make sure you leave some room between the top of the must and the top of the bucket. WHen the ferment gets going, it can grow quite a bit and makes a big mess if it overflows. I ferment in the basement where it doesn't hurt if it gets out of hand, if you are over a nice floor or carpet, I would put the fermenter in some kind of a container, anything that can catch overflow that can come out if it gets a little wild. When it gets down to 1.010 or so, you can snap the lid on with an airlock and finish fermenting to dry. Or you can put it into a carboy, airlock and finish dry. Let it clear or use finings to help it clear, stabalize if you are going to sweeten, sweeten it up if you like, bottle and let it sit for a while. You will rack it a couple of times to get it off the gross lees (the junk on the bottom after fermenting) and get the solids out while leaving them on the bottom. Ask as you go along, folks will help you out. And remember patience, it takes time to make a good wine. Arne.

I do already have them frozen and I have barrels that I use for wine aparently the recipe makes 10 bottles so I don't understand how to convert this for 5,6 and 6.5 gallon carboys that I have. I also am wondering what the chemicals do I know have 6 pails of fruit each weighing 30 pounds I I'm probably going to need more ? Also which hydrometer should I use and whats 1.010 on them

image.jpg

Back