WineXpert Chocolate Rasberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troton, this kit does not follow any instructions and does what it wants to do and can stop fermenting early or go past a little. Ive seen this problem with this kit very often and my batch stopped early also but it tastes damn good anyways but is very sweet as most ports are. Its a small glass sippingwine after or for desert.

Thanks I will wait a bit. Patience is a virtue. Just does not happen to be one of mine.

It is still only 1.025. It does not seem to be doing anything. I will wait another day or two or I will move on to the next step.

Unless any recommendations???????

Troton..

I moved forward with the f pac at 1.118

it was stuck.. and should have been at 1.010,

It's too sweet for me and I won't purchase this again. one mouthful is enough.

Allie

I like my fruit wines a little sweet but my grape wines very dry but I do like a port for a desert once in awhile.

I haven't had a good tawny port in a long time Wade..

I quite like a good brandy on a cold winters night.

Allie

Well I moved on. Wish me luck. It had actually gone up. It was 1.030 When I added the sugar it rose to 1.040 I will keep you posted

I really enjoyed this kit when I made it last year.

It was my first attempt at a port and it finished WAY too sweet, but part of the issue with this kit was due to a mistake I made in misreading the instructions. I managed to save it with a generous addition of brandy, though.

I've already pre-ordered a kit from the '09 batch that should ship in September. I'm looking forward to trying this again without my mistakes and ham-fisted attempts at fixing them.

I was going to take everything out of the bottles and rebottle with vodka.. have decided not to though ,will leave it as is and if I want to add vodka at serving time.. it gives me the option to dilute the sweetness a bit..it is a lovely wine as an aperitif and fiddling with cheesecake dessert recipes at present.. I have a lovely dark choc cheesecake recipe that I think the choc rasp port will enhance.
Luckily I bottled in half bottles.

Allie

I gave a bottle to my neoghbor and they used it to cook a prok roast with it as they didnt like sweet wines so I found out.

hahahha Wade!

I hope they invited you to dinner to try it?

Allie

I gave a bottle to my neoghbor and they used it to cook a prok roast with it as they didnt like sweet wines so I found out.

Ouch... I guess it pays to know your audience.

I gave a bottle to a friend last XMas. 6 months later he told me that he didn't really like it, which I found odd since he does like sweet wines. Another friend, who knows a bit about wine, was over at his house a bit later and said that the bottle was corked and had been stored next to his living room heater all winter and spring. :m

Ouch... I guess it pays to know your audience.

Another friend, who knows a bit about wine, was over at his house a bit later and said that the bottle was corked and had been stored next to his living room heater all winter and spring. :m

oh that's rude!

Allie

oh that's rude!

Allie

Sadly, it's more stupid than rude. The friend in question just doesn't know much about wine. He was horrified when he realized what he'd done.

If anything, I should have known better. He just doesn't get that wine has to be stored properly. My wife and I were at a party at his house a couple years ago and he told us to go ahead and open a bottle of wine. We picked one off his wine rack (next to said heater) and it was corked. We told him and he had us grab another... which was corked and ruined as well. We gave up at that point and just had soft drinks. After that incident, I assumed he would have moved the wine rack... I guess not. I wonder how much wine he's bought and ruined in that thing.

Well I appear to be stuck again. It is day 11 and now supposed to be 1.020 or less. But I am only at 1.030. Our local wine shop said to wait a couple of days and maybe add a different yeast???

But I did try a little and it tasted good so far.

I just realized I missed the order date for this years Port but our wine shop is going to see if he can get me a box. I would like to do it again but play with it a bit more the second time around. Of course I need to see if I can get this batch to go. It will be grape harvest soon an need to get this one to move on.
As for serving wine. We have wine that we serve to the masses and wines we will only serve to those that appreciate it.

Well I appear to be stuck again. It is day 11 and now supposed to be 1.020 or less. But I am only at 1.030. Our local wine shop said to wait a couple of days and maybe add a different yeast???

What temperature is the wine at? There has been some feedback that this can be a slow fermenter. I would try stirring the wine to bring any yeast up off the bottom, and ensure that the temperature is about 74F.

I wouldn't try another packet of yeast.

Steve

At first I thought I had it too high. So I lowered it a bit. But when I checked it the other day it was only 64. So I have now bumped it up and stirred it again. I was a bit worried about adding yeast because so far I like the color at this stage and the taste.
But How long do you wait before you go to the Secondary.

Back