Other Chocolate desert wine (port)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txclifton

Reaction score
Greetings,

One of the local wine bars, that uses mostly kits, has a
chocolate desert wine. I can place most of their wines as
Winexpert kits but I can't find this one. It has a very strong
chocolate taste.

Anyone have an idea of what this wine could be. I'm being told to make it by the boss....(wife)...
smiley2.gif

THX

Hav not seen a kit with chocolate in it txclifton. Perhaps they are adding a concentrate

Ahh...ancient chinese secret...
smiley2.gif

Yes, I suppose I could just go ask, that just makes too much sense.
smiley4.gif
I was trying to determine it on my own. I'll have to go back, which is very dangerous since I love their port and my port kit is not done yet!

If anyone is interested, I'll post back here on what I find.

-Doug

Well, I would then suggest just calling them, but we all know that you want to in and have a port, so I won't make that suggestion!
smiley2.gif

And I AM very interested! We have Valentine's Day
smiley27.gif
and wedding anniversary
smiley27.gif
coming up next month, and we thought it would be fun to just get a nice kit to celebrate.
smiley31.gif

Here - check out this site: http://www.itsyourwinery.com/and click on infusion.

I saw this place at a Wine Festival - they were pouring samples of WE Island Mist Green Apple Riesling, the Blackberry Cabernet, the Raspberry Merlot, and their Infusion with Chocolate & Carmel flavors.
Of course, they didn't say that the wine was WE Island Mists, and when I ask if they used WE, the lady gave me a cold look and said, "We make our own wines." I pressed with, "Yes, but you get the ingredients from Winexpert concentrates, right?" but was again greeted with the ever-so-friendly "We make our own wines in our ownstore." Nice.
The best I can figure (from the webpage and from the tastings) is that they use the WE Ice Wine and add the flavorings to it. And then charge $24.95 per 375 ml bottle!

Chocolate, eh?

Do not hold me liable for any of these suggestions, but here's what i would do:

You could do an experimental batch with cocoa beans or cocoa powder, following maybe a simple coffee wine recipe (JK's site) or one that uses vanilla beans? Replace syrup in a recipe for Nesquick or something (you know the chocolate syrup?). Ask for the bottle? Pretend you know what you're doing, and look at what the label says.

Just my 2 cents.

Funky Fish said:
Here - check out this site: http://www.itsyourwinery.com/and click on infusion.

I saw this place at a Wine Festival - they were pouring samples of WE Island Mist Green Apple Riesling, the Blackberry Cabernet, the Raspberry Merlot, and their Infusion with Chocolate & Carmel flavors.
Of course, they didn't say that the wine was WE Island Mists, and when I ask if they used WE, the lady gave me a cold look and said, "We make our own wines." I pressed with, "Yes, but you get the ingredients from Winexpert concentrates, right?" but was again greeted with the ever-so-friendly "We make our own wines in our ownstore." Nice.
The best I can figure (from the webpage and from the tastings) is that they use the WE Ice Wine and add the flavorings to it. And then charge $24.95 per 375 ml bottle!

I would have pressed them even more Funky Fish. While there is nothing wrong with the concept or the wine I would have an issue with them trying to hide the fact these wine are made from kits! Maybe a question like "how do you import all those grapes from all over the world?"

The "Ice Wine" is also not really a true ice wine it is ice wine style!

masta said:
I would have pressed them even more Funky Fish. While there is nothing wrong with the concept or the wine I would have an issue with them trying to hide the fact these wine are made from kits! Maybe a question like "how do you import all those grapes from all over the world?"

The "Ice Wine" is also not really a true ice wine it is ice wine style!

I should have. I should have asked how long it takes to destem the grapes or when do they add the green apples to the riesling (and why do they only ferment the riesling to 8 - 9% abv). Ahh, well - there's always next year...
smiley4.gif

MedPretzel said:
Chocolate, eh?

Do not hold me liable for any of these suggestions, but here's what i would do:

You could do an experimental batch with cocoa beans or cocoa powder, following maybe a simple coffee wine recipe (JK's site) or one that uses vanilla beans? Replace syrup in a recipe for Nesquick or something (you know the chocolate syrup?). Ask for the bottle? Pretend you know what you're doing, and look at what the label says.

From the caramel one I tasted, I could almost believe that they just used a caramel flavoring - kind of like they use in coffee shops. But I'm not sure if I've ever seen some of the other flavorings before.

FWIW, I thought the caramel was a bit better than the chocolate. It seemed to fit with the ice wine better.

Update:

I went to that Winery/Wine Tasting bar last night. They are complely out of the chocolate port or any other port for that matter!

I asked the vintner how he made it..what made it chocolate. He said it was his secret. I pried a little more and he said he experimented for months to get it right. There is some almond flavoring too....

I asked the waitress and she said chocolate essence? I'm thinking its like those additives you mix with coffee's etc.

Clearly, he was not going to give it away.

So, anyone else ever visit one of these new on site winery, tasting bars? They are popping up all around Dallas/Ft.Worth. I'm actually thinking of doing it myself. I discovered the problem though. All of the wines we tasted last night were bottled within the last week. They were young and tasted it....along with bottle shock. I can't believe they misplanned stock and now have to sell this very poor product.

Anyhow, theres my chocolate update. Maybe I'll experiment with some additives.

Cheers,

Doug

Please do keep us posted! I am most excited about this! Chocolate Wine! Every man should stock up on this product! What else would ever make a woman THAT HAPPY!?!
smiley36.gif
I know that if I'd had a bad day that coming home to something like that would make the evening a far better place.

My wife stop in the one in Mckinney couple a days a go and brought Home a cab made by the "owner" himself. "Big reveiws on this one" they said. It was sweeten with welch's grape juice. She pay $20.00 for it. Big waste of money.
smiley7.gif

Ok..now that's funny.

This is probably the same place. When I went there in
December, he had some nicely aged wines. They were not just
bottled thats for sure. Anyhow, their ports were good and almost
everything else we tried...then we come back after they've sold out of
the matured wines....yuck!!!

Back