Chilean Wine Adventure

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, does that apply to the Malbec also?

The Malbec is still in the barrel. It is more fruit forward, and seems to be coming along a little faster (the acid numbers were slightly better too, so that may be helping). But yes; body, mouthfeel, etc seem to be quite good in that as well. Obviously, the Carm gained some from the oxidation and evaporation during barrel time that the Malbec has yet to gain. But I expect it will be largely the same in the end.

Was thinking of doing something similar and need some( a lot) direction

Hi Jim,et al,
I need some advice.
Thanks for the documentation of your process.
This will be my second attempt at making wine from juice and I was also thinking of adding some "type " of fruit/grape and remembered one kit that I made that had grape skins(raisins) and was thinking of using them in the juice.
My first attempt at juice produced a Barolo and amarone(stuck fermentation) and a Riesling and Cabernet Sauvignon. Eventually, they all were acceptable but I was never sure about the whole process without the kit directions.Upon reading your log, it seems as though I was pretty much on track, but never sure that I fully understood the process. ......and terms such as malo.......?......

I picked up my Chilean juice today and have it in the basement warming up. 1bucket each of Malbec, Shiraz,Cabernet franc, and sauvingnon blanc. I plan to kill the wild yeast tomorrow in all buckets and add the yeast in the following 24 hrs. Does the type of grape matter in each of the juices? Can I use raisins?Besides SG,what other readings are necessary? Why?

Larry

To a certain extent, the grape type doesn't matter, IMHO. But I wouldn't go adding Cabernet grapes to a Pinot Noir either. Merlot seems to be a good generic choice for most reds though. Raisins can be used but their use is a topic of some debate. I've used them on some cheap kits, and a Valpolicella juice bucket with some decent benefits. Given the option though, I'd go with grapes if possible.

You most definitely need to measure and track your SG. TA and pH as well, though most juice buckets do come balanced. Knowing them at the start will allow you to adjust if necessary though.

soslarry

Likes Given: 2

I let the juices warm up since sunday. I checked the temp and Sg on all 4 and they ranged from 1.096 to1.098. The must temp. Was around 62F to 64F with the room temp around 70 in basement. I made an temporary insulated enclosure from max insulation board to heat the area with the juices. Otherwise the temp. In the basement is only around 66F. After considerable reading, I decided to add pot. Meta ,to kill the wild yeast, to the juices( @.5 tsp. per 6 gal.) and left it uncovered. I checked on it this morning and 1 of the juices decided to ferment in spite of the meta.???

I plan to add yeast today around 2pm(24 hr. Period for k meta to dissipate),........BUT I am concerned about the yeast that I was sold by the juice retailer. He sold me all in ec-1118 for all 4. I am concerned about both alcohol tolerance of the yeast and it's temp. Range. My research leads me to believe that the yeast will not hold up to the alcohol. I found a formula online for alc. approximation and it comes out to about 14% when I plugged in my Sg along with the expected final Sg of .996.
In my last attempt with juices, I had a stalled fermentation in a Barolo and amarone. I suspect that the problem was the temp. as I monitored the starting temp. Of the must but only the room temp. Afterwards and I think the must got too hot for the yeast. This is all conjecture as I didn't realize until now that both temp. And alcohol tolerance play a role in the health of the yeast.I finally got the fermentation to restart but while the wine is drinkable , I am not sure if it is what it was supposed to be. In fact, they both taste very similar.
Therefore, I am trying to head off this situation,now,before it arises again. Anyone have any thoughts on the type of yeast for the Malbec,Syrah,Cabernet franc, and a Sauvignon blanc?

Thanks for the input. It's nice to know that there is support out there.
My RED juices are fermenting and the SG is dropping.
I got a little confused as I was starting 4 juices at once,hydrating and pitching yeast per juice bucket. I decided to use red star Pasteur champagne for the white.
But the following day ,I noticed everything was fermenting but the white that I moved to a cooler area. Upon investigation, I noticed only 3 open yeast packets instead of 4..........it gets better,.......so I thought that I forgot to do the white and must have pitched the yeast into the Malbec.......it gets better............so I pitched another of the red star into the sav. Blanc but upon more thought , I distinctly remembered my process and know now that I did not omit the yeast in the white and therefore double "yeasted" the white and now think that I had omitted the cab franc and it is presently doing fine with the wild yeast.
The crazy thing is that I decided to keep good records this time.
I checked the wines this afternoon and the Sg is still dropping
I had previously moved the white to a cooler area and saw a little evidence of fermenting but the Sg was still the same and maybe a little higher(probably an incorrect reading) but the must temp. Was only 60f, so I moved it to a different area and am putting a brew belt on it for a short while.

I am hoping that everything works out

Well, the Carmenere is in bottles as of last night. I had a little more than half a bottle left when I was done and rather than put it in a split (I had already bottled 4), I decided that was the reward for my hard work and patience. :D

Only a year old, this wine is every bit as good as a commercial wine. I need to let it sit for a while longer, but am very pleased with it. I'm really pleasantly surprised by the body, legs and mouthfeel of this wine and I think the combination of adding grapes, along with barrel time has made a big difference in this bucket wine.

I'll update in another month or so when I get closer to bottling the Malbec.

Latest posts

Back