WineXpert CHILEAN MAIPO VALLEY CARMENÈRE/CABERNET SAUVIGNON

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
I opened a bottle of the Wine Expert 2005 Limited Edition CHILEAN <?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:pLACENAME w:st="on">MAIPO</ST1:pLACENAME> <ST1:pLACE w:st="on">VALLEY</ST1:pLACE> CARMENÈRE/CABERNET SAUVIGNON that I made when I did my Wine Kit Pictorial Tutorial. This is the first bottle of it I have opened since I bottled it right at a year and a half ago.
This has to be the best wine I have made to date. I was immediately met with that distinctive Cabernet aroma and when I poured a glass and gave it a swirl it opened up and has a nose that is just fantastic. I get a hint of leather and cherries. No "kit" smell and best of all, no "kit" taste. I could of done a blind taste test with a commercial wine and not guessed the difference. Very full bodied and the oaking was perfect.

I really had no doubts that this would be a nice wine but I have to say that it really exceeds my expectations. I am still going to try letting it sit another six months to hit the 2 year mark which is my goal for all of my red wines. I have an Amarone over 2 years bottled that still isn't there yet for me. I really just wanted to post for the benefit of the newbies that haven't learned the patience thing yet and drink their wines too soon and are disappointed.

Give them some time. Make some quick drinkers as soon as you can and put those good kits away and let them grow up. Buy the best kit you can afford. The high dollar kits do make a better wine in the long run. I can't wait till it cools off here and I can get back into winemaking mode and try a couple of the Mosti All Juice Kits. But don't blow off the Wine Expert Limited Editions, Estate Series, and Crushendo as these are might fine kits as well. Just remember to give them time.

I will add that all the wines from this series stand to be very good. Both the whites, the Trio Blanco and the Sicilian Grillo are already very good with the Grillo being on the great side. I am not a white wine drinker but that wine has to be one of the best whites I have ever tried, kit or commercial. The Nebbiolo isn't quite there yetand I haven't triedthe Petite Sirah/Zinfandelyet.

Very inspiring! Thanks Smurfe.

I am in the very beginning stages of what I hope to be a long wine making "career". The waiting is the toughest part and I haven't come anywhere close yet to waiting 18 months to drink a particular wine.

I do however have a WE Cabernet starting to bulk age right now and keep telling myself to get this bottled in a few months and then forget about it for a year. Same thing with the French Merlot that I'm going to start next week.

You mention quick drinkers. Can you, or anyone, give some examples of quick drinking reds and whites that I can make in between these longer reds. In my beginning stages here, it will be quite hard not to sneak some wine if I don't have any quick drinkers.

Thanks for sharing smurfe! My husband asked me this morning if I was REALLY going to wait so long to drink the wine I started. He made me think I was a little crazy, but I will try real hard to wait.

And I'd be interested in hearing about some quick drinking suggestions as well
smiley4.gif

Is the WE Selection Symphony considered a quick drinker? By quick drinker, I mean about one to two months bulk aged and then one to two months in the bottle.

Smurfe:

I would totally agree with you on the Limited Edition CHILEAN <?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:pLACENAME w:st="on">MAIPO</ST1:pLACENAME> <ST1:pLACE w:st="on">VALLEY</ST1:pLACE> CARMENÈRE/CABERNETwine. I have one at 14 months and it is one of the best reds I have made to date. I really wasn't even going to make this one - I had asked George to substitute another kit so I would have 2 of them. When it came time, George needed the kit for a damaged one and I got the Carmenere instead - this small disappointment has turned to a stoke of luck. I've opened about 3 bottles since it turned 1 year. I usually start drinking my wines about 1 year, but try to have nearly half left at the 2 year mark. I really do think most of the bigger red kits peak closer to that time.

In reply to those that ask about a quick drinking red, I really don't know what to suggest. Remember to that others may disagree with me and believe that most of their wines are ready to drink much sooner. I am one that can detect the kit taste many refer to and I let them age until this taste goes away, and it will with age. Other never detect it in their wines and enjoy them much quicker than I do.

I did make a Wine Expert Vintners Reserve Bourgeron Rouge that wasn't bad after about 6 months. Other than that I haven't really made anything that was spectacular early on. I have heard the VR Mezza Luna Red and VR Bordailles Rouge are pretty good and early drinkers. I did a VR Cabernet Sauvignon and wasn't thrilled with it.

I have to suggest leaning towardwhite wines or the Island Mist kits for early drinking but most of the IM kits are sweet if I remember correct. I have only made one, the Exotic Fruits White Zin and while it is very tasty and refreshing, it is pretty sweet. I made a Vintners Reserve Italian Pinot Grigio that was great at about 4-6 months. The Whites from my Limited Edition Series were fantastic at one year.

You all can learn patience with practice. I still have two kits (WE Estate Series Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon and a Staggs Leap District Merlot)in the carboy's bulk aging that I bought while I was at last years Winestock and it was in May last year. I made them both th first of June 2006. As well as a Super TuscanCrushendo I made at the same time I bought right after Winestock. I have really high hopes for these wines and really want to crack into them but I am trying to hold out for 2 years bulk aging and then one year in the bottle. It is tough but so far, so good.

I'm learning patience is the key. I will keep drinking my commercial wines until mine are aged appropriately. It's the waiting thats so hard
smiley19.gif

hi moto-girl,

Instead of paying more buy 2 kits and use one to drink soon and the other for aging. you will probably save a lot of money... those commercial wine are very expensive :D

the trick is to store a case in the christmas stuff. you will only remember this case at holydays when you decorate
smiley2.gif
and usually this will mark about a one year waiting period completed!

and yes this wine is great (but unfortunately this one is also non existant anymore (R.I.P... all drank and enjoyed to the last drop!)
this was my first WE kit throwing diamonds.

Smurfe have you got some "gems" in your wine?

david_québec said:
yes this wine is great (but unfortunately this one is also non existant anymore (R.I.P... all drank and enjoyed to the last drop!)

I have found wine diamonds (tartaric crystals) in almost all my reds since I give them time to age in the wine cellar at 56-57 degrees. Not a problem for me because all reds get decanted before drinking so they end up in the decanter and not in my glass.

Thanks for the encouragement Smurfe! I am trying to set up for 80 and
09 so continue to buy commercial until my wines grow up. It would be
fun, though, to serve some of my own "quick drinkers". Wish I had some.
Come to thnk of it '? 08 would be a quick drinker....

When I made an IM for my daughter I put half the F-pack and a pound of sugar into the initial fermentation. I then used only the other half of the F-pack for back sweetening. [I know, I voided the warranty, but IM kits are so inexpensive that they make great experiment vehicles.]

The result was a slightly sweet wine with 9.5% abv. She loves it. I put most of it into 2 Wine on Tap bags, and she started drinking it right away. SWMBO gave a friend of hers two bottles (of 11) and she loved it too.

I might try taking an IM all the way to dry with the F-pack and additional sugar to 11% abv. If it wasn't good I could back sweeten with Splenda, creating a sweet wine with no carbs for SWMBO.

david_québec said:
and yes this wine is great (but unfortunately this one is also non existant anymore (R.I.P... all drank and enjoyed to the last drop!)

Probably about half of my reds do.

I get ice diamonds in all my reds, nothing major or a problem. I agree with others on this (and another) thread. The ice diamonds mark it as a 'real' wine, as opposed to a homogenized collections of chemicals and colors.

PeterZ said:
I might try taking an IM all the way to dry with the F-pack and additional sugar to 11% abv. If it wasn't good I could back sweeten with Splenda, creating a sweet wine with no carbs for SWMBO.

If you sweeten with Splenda, please post your results. I would like to do the same for the Mrs. Also, I'm planning on making a homemade ginger ale and sweetening with Splenda. My goal is to have my modified freezer tapped with one beer, one soda, and a house red and white under argon on tap in cornelius kegs.

Latest posts

Back