WineXpert chianti racking question/chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djcoop

Reaction score
Ok, as many know, my first kit was the chianti. Tomorrow is the day that the instructions said I could bottle. But, I was thinking about letting it sit for another week or two(I'm in no hurry, it's not like I should be drinking it yet anyway
smiley19.gif
.) But, there is a lot of lees that is really powdery and clouds up upon movement. Would it be ok to rack over to another carboy off of the gross lees and allow it to sit for another week or two before I bottle? If I do rack, should I top up again, especially since last week I inserted my wine thief and sloshed out a ton of wine?

Also, last Thursday I clarified my peach/apr chardonnay and I notice little floaties in it (looks like it was stirred up from the lees), do these normally go ahead and float down to the bottom over the next 2-3 weeks? Also, you know when you de-gas at this stage and it creates a ton of foam at the top, and then you top up. Some of the foam residue is all up around the top of the "boy", looks yucky. I guess it doesn't hurt anything, and just leave it alone? I want to scrub it (if only I felt the same way about my house
smiley36.gif
)

Thanks!D

D,

I wouldn't worry about the lees for a month or so. If you want to wait longer to bottle it should be just fine. I would certainly top it up if you are going to wait though.

The floaties in your chard will settle out if you give them time enough to do so. Be sure it's fully degassed by using the fffffft test in a small bottle. You know, a couple of inches of wine in a small bottle that you seal with your thumb and then shake the bajeez out of and when you slowly let your thumb off it either goes fffffft or not. You're looking for not.
smiley2.gif
I think the foam residue will be ok but if you do decide to get rid of it make sure everything that you use has been sanitized.

Donna,

I wouldn't worry about the foam residue too much, you can rack to another 'boy before you bottle then you can clean the current one. The Pinot that I started about the time you started your chiati will be ready to bottle next week, though I plan on waiting till middle of April before I worry about it.

A question for those of you that rack before you bottle as well. How long do you let the wine settle after racking before you bottle? I think I saw a post saying most wait at least a day for any sediment to precipitate out.

Steve

Steve-

Good luck w/ the bottling. I am going to bottle mine next week. I figure if it can age in a carboy, it can age in a bottle and I can free up a carboy to start a new batch!

DJ, I'd say Yes! Rack that chianti, top it up (I'd use a cheap bottle of dry red wine) and drink whatever doesn't fit in the carboy!
smiley2.gif
But 2 bottles of top up wine incase you need the full bottle! Don't want to leave you w/out something for the vintner! Then put the carboy in a dark corner for at least a month. You'll need to add some crushed campden tablets when you do this racking. Stay patient!

princess,

heavy sign, I'll do this tomorrow, I'll have to do and get more cheap red wine, as I just drank it all tonight
smiley36.gif

D,

Whenever you wine has been degassed and stabilized you need to limit the exposure to oxygen so keep those carboys topped up well. The floaters and scum you mentioned is quite normal with some kit and time and a gentle rocking of the carboy will take care of any solids. The scum can be cleaned after the carboy is empty along with the rest of the house if needed!
smiley36.gif

Adding an extra 1/4 tsp of powdered K-meta as noted in your kit instructions will be sufficient for an extra racking and extended aging past 6 months.

Latest posts

Back