cheap barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

west_end

Reaction score
barrelsonline has 20L barrels and stands for $100. Unfortunately they have a spigot and from what I have read the hole for the bung should be made larger. Drilling a larger hole in a round surface seems challenging.

It would probably not be hard to stop up the spigot hole but who knows.

Is there a better barrel that is in this price range?

Thanks

You get what you pay for. You would be much better off paying a little more and getting a Vadai barrel. There is currently a leaking barrel thread with that very same barrel…… Spend the extra $50 or so and sleep better at night.

Unfortunately they have a spigot and from what I have read the hole for the bung should be made larger. Drilling a larger hole in a round surface seems challenging.

Well I don't know anything about barrels I will admit. But I do know a good deal about wood working. If you do decide to go with this, drilling a larger hole is very simple actually. You use what is called a Hole saw.
It's basically just a bit you place into your drill. and it allows you to cut perfectly round smooth edged holes into wood, metal, pvc, what have you. They make a million different ones for just about everything. I've used them a lot with really great success, especially on rounded surfaces or where a hole already is that I want to make bigger. Just like what you would be doing. :b

They look like this, but you can buy them just about anywhere drill bits are sold.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_348102-28303-1771961_0__?productId=3361226&Ntt=hole+saw&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dhole%2Bsaw&facetInfo=

I have two barrels from barrels online. The first one that I received, I followed their instructions for sealing which resulted in an imperfect seal and a little bit of leaking at first.

For the second one, I followed the boiling water instructions from the forum and it worked like a charm. I also requested no spigot and no bung hole so that I could drill those myself if I needed them (yes, for the bung, no for the spigot).

If I recall, there was also a thread about vadai barrels and barrel hoops problems a while back. So you are bound to get some defects with any manufacturer since barrels are largely artisanal.

You use what is called a Hole saw.

It's basically just a bit you place into your drill. and it allows you to cut perfectly round smooth edged holes into wood, metal, pvc, what have you. They make a million different ones for just about everything. I've used them a lot with really great success, especially on rounded surfaces or where a hole already is that I want to make bigger. Just like what you would be doing. :b

They look like this, but you can buy them just about anywhere drill bits are sold.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_348102-28303-1771961_0__?productId=3361226&Ntt=hole+saw&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dhole%2Bsaw&facetInfo=

Justin Sane how do you go about getting the hole saw started without wandering around? They have a centering bit that goes in first and keeps the saw part centered. When there is an existing hole, how do you keep it from wandering? If you can place a board behind the hole, that works, but I don't know how you would hold one behind the hole, inside the barrel.

the only true way would be to plug the existing hole and start your centering bit on that.

Justin Sane how do you go about getting the hole saw started without wandering around? They have a centering bit that goes in first and keeps the saw part centered. When there is an existing hole, how do you keep it from wandering? If you can place a board behind the hole, that works, but I don't know how you would hold one behind the hole, inside the barrel.

Actually what I do is sit the bit around the existing hole. Then lightly tap it with a hammer. This will start a grove for it to ride in. Smooth sailing after that. Just got to go slow at first, or it will try to jump around. But with wood you want to go slower anyways, or the friction can burn your wood.

Also you can use a step bit if your not comfortable will the hole saw. But to get a larger one of these, can get expensive, and they make a lot more mess. But they do in fact work really well too.

i did my barrel with the hole saw, like Justin said just go slow at first, worked like a charm. My sons bought me the barrel from barrels online so I had no choice. but it sealed up great and i even like the spout for tasting or if I over fill i can just drain a little off.

Back