RJ Spagnols Chardonnay/Semillon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly*guy

Reaction score
Have a RJS Cellar Classic Chardonnay Semillon to make and wondered if anyone else has made this one and if it will have a buttery flavor to it when complete?

I have not seen kits, (Chardonnay's), that claim "buttery" flavor in Georges description, would like to have one..... anyone know of one that he offers?

I think you have to battonage the wine. Which is basically stirring it while it sits on the lees. Joan and Peter have done this so perhaps they'll explain further.
VC

Flyguy, to get it to the "buttery" stage you must use the battonage process. I did this to my chardonnay and hopefully will taste awesome.
smiley9.gif

Ok, this is a new term for me, so I hope someone can explain the how too's to me
smiley1.gif

Looked on the search for it and got nothing but the 2 replies today.
smiley5.gif

thank you, after reading the blog it doesn't sound like it is that tough....
can I assume that I will not destroy a kit wine while doing this process?

it sure sounds easy enough and I would do as was done in the blog I will separate the wine into different carboys after the first racking and leave some to complete as per instructed and the other I can use the battonage treatment and see what the difference is... after a few months, taste should tell all
smiley2.gif

Any updates on the battonage Fly Guy? I am curious because I am thinking about doing this to my chardonnay kits.

yea, actually, glad you posted your message.....

Here's my thoughts on the whole situation now that we are about 6 months down the road.....

Split the kit in half, made on 3 gal batch "regular" and the other 3 gal using the "batonage" style. The short answer is it worked great!
But.... (there is always a but at the end).

The Spagnols kit comes with oak powder not chips, so in our inexperience we added the powder as directed and of coarse that meant that when it came time to separate the 2 halves, we were going to have powder in both of them as it was now floating around the fermenter loose and mixed in well with all the lees.

shortening the story, the process was successful, however, when doing this in the future and with my next batch, I would put the oak powder or even chips in a bag so that you can effect the oaking process a little easier. By this I mean you would be able to remove or prolong the oaking of your wine. In my case, I would have had 2 separate Chardonnay's no matter if the batonage treatment worked or not, because the oak was on the 2nd batch for 4 weeks longer then the 1st batch.
It does work and suspending the lees daily gave an instant buttery mouth feel that I wanted, but for me and my taste, the oak is a bit heavy and therefore "covers" the amount of buttery taste that you can sense.

So, be prepared to work with the directions on your kits if you wish to try this, to me, I will do it again, but with knowledge this time! think 1st ... do 2nd, gives yourself an opportunity to keep the wine at the flavour that you wish by bagging your oak, or if you intend to bulk age you can make the splite batches and oak at the bulk aging point.

Thanks Fly Guy for the update and the tip about bagging the oak. After reading your update I am going to give this a go on my next two kits which are both chardonnays. I'm just waiting for empty carboys which should be in 1-2 weeks. This will make for a fun summer project!

Back