Chardonnay Progression

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RylanJacobs

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to check-in with those on the forum to get some opinions on how my Chardonnay is progressing. This is a juice bucket from Wine Grapes Direct.

Fermentation
- Began: 12/6 with SG - 1.100
- Ended: 12/19 with SG - 0.094 (ABV of approximately 13.9%)

On 12/19, I pitched CH35 malolactic bacteria, added opti-malo nutrients, and racked to a 5-gallon carboy. A small amount of remaining wine was put in a 750ml bottle with French Oak cubes. CH35 was not added to the bottle.

I completed chromatography tests on 1/6 and 2/28. Attached are the results of each. There does not appear to be much progress on the chromatography paper. The carboy does have tiny bubbles working their way to the top. The 750ml bottle has cleared beautifully.

Question 1: I assume the carboy will clear on its own once MLF is complete, correct? Should I even bother continuing with chromatography, so long as the carboy is cloudy?

Question 2: It has been 14 weeks since fermentation ended and CH35 was added. At what point should I be concerned that MLF may never complete, and the wine be at risk without any sulfites?
(Side note: CH35 claims to complete MLF in as little as 14 days, although I suspect my ABV has complicated this.)

Question 3: Is there anything else I should consider/do at this time?

Sincerely,
A Nervous Winemaker

Attachments

• IMG_4873.JPG
    IMG_4873.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5091.JPG
    IMG_5091.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Here is a side-by-side progression of the wine since it finished fermentation. I'm so glad I have kept photos and notes because this makes me think I'm headed in the right direction.

Attachments

• IMG_4631.JPG
    IMG_4631.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4758.JPG
    IMG_4758.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5091.JPG
    IMG_5091.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
What temperature do you have you wine sitting at? I have a vague memory that ch35 likes it a bit warmer than other bacteria.

How long should you wait? I think back to some winemakers that don't add bacteria at all and wait from Oct. Until sometime in spring or even summer for it to finish.

Are you gently stirring every so often? I find that makes mine go faster. Or makes me think it does.

Judging by the chromatography I would assume there was little to no activity. I leave mine for 3-4 months so if it is properly topped up leaving it should not be a problem. With this being said 1.5 months should show signs of the malic fading. The literature for CH35 says it's good for up to 14 ABV though I would assume that's a safe range and is probably good for a higher ABV. If you decide to wait I might recommend topping it up to 1/2 of headspace maximum and see what happens.

A couple thoughts: Chardonnay doesn't necessarily have to go through MLF and it could be possible you got a bad batch of CH35.

What temperature do you have you wine sitting at? I have a vague memory that ch35 likes it a bit warmer than other bacteria.

How long should you wait? I think back to some winemakers that don't add bacteria at all and wait from Oct. Until sometime in spring or even summer for it to finish.

Are you gently stirring every so often? I find that makes mine go faster. Or makes me think it does.

that’s a good point. My cellar is set to 62F. I could try bumping it up to 70 or so.

Good point. The cellar is 62 degrees. I may bump it up to 70 or so and stir periodically.

I don’t have to complete MLF, but I believe it would best match the flavor profile I am seeking from the batch.

Judging by the chromatography I would assume there was little to no activity. I leave mine for 3-4 months so if it is properly topped up leaving it should not be a problem. With this being said 1.5 months should show signs of the malic fading. The literature for CH35 says it's good for up to 14 ABV though I would assume that's a safe range and is probably good for a higher ABV. If you decide to wait I might recommend topping it up to 1/2 of headspace maximum and see what happens.

A couple thoughts: Chardonnay doesn't necessarily have to go through MLF and it could be possible you got a bad batch of CH35.

How does my headspace look to you in the photos? Could it use a top-up? It’s about 1 1/2 inches of space in the carboy. It does appear to have undergone some evaporative loss.

I would like to check-in with those on the forum to get some opinions on how my Chardonnay is progressing. This is a juice bucket from Wine Grapes Direct.

Fermentation
- Began: 12/6 with SG - 1.100
- Ended: 12/19 with SG - 0.094 (ABV of approximately 13.9%)

On 12/19, I pitched CH35 malolactic bacteria, added opti-malo nutrients, and racked to a 5-gallon carboy. A small amount of remaining wine was put in a 750ml bottle with French Oak cubes. CH35 was not added to the bottle.

I completed chromatography tests on 1/6 and 2/28. Attached are the results of each. There does not appear to be much progress on the chromatography paper. The carboy does have tiny bubbles working their way to the top. The 750ml bottle has cleared beautifully.

Question 1: I assume the carboy will clear on its own once MLF is complete, correct? Should I even bother continuing with chromatography, so long as the carboy is cloudy?

Question 2: It has been 14 weeks since fermentation ended and CH35 was added. At what point should I be concerned that MLF may never complete, and the wine be at risk without any sulfites?
(Side note: CH35 claims to complete MLF in as little as 14 days, although I suspect my ABV has complicated this.)
Question 3: Is there anything else I should consider/do at this time?

Sincerely,
A Nervous Winemaker
bentonite then sulphite after the bentonite settles

How does my headspace look to you in the photos? Could it use a top-up? It’s about 1 1/2 inches of space in the carboy. It does appear to have undergone some evaporative loss.
If it were mine I would top it up. But if you plan on increasing the temperature the volume might be enough to lessen the headspace.

I bumped up the cellar temp to 70F and have seen a significant increase in bubbles in the carboy. I’m thinking I will recheck a chromatography in a week or so.

Latest posts

Back