Chardonay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boone1964

Junior
Reaction score
Just finished malolactic fermentation added nutrients waited 3 months still a little bitter ant suggestions
Rich

If you have put it through malo, your options are very limited. If you try to sweeten it now and needed to add sorbate to do so safely, you run the risk of ruining the wine as sorbate and malo don't play well and ruin the wine. Your best bet is to cold stabilize it and see if you can drop some tartrates to lower the acid a bit. Other than that, time will help take the edge off it. good luck with it.

Give it a year or more. Some of the tartness is due to it being very young.

Chardonnay is a bit of a pain to deal with. It can be VERY tempermental!

You do not say if you are making wine from a kit, pail juice, or whole grapes.

If you are making from whole grapes, then you are most likely pressing the grapes too hard and absorbing some of the more bitter tannins in the grape. I find that enven if I crush and destem the grapes, a lot of that bitter tannin come through.

To fight this, I took on a more labor intensive method of NOT crushing/destemming the grapes. Just toss the whole clusters into the press and simply press under light pressure over an extended period of time. I then allow the juice to cold soak for a day or two, then rack the juice into my primary. This removes any pesky seeds, skins, or pulp that is present in the must.

The results were well worth the effort. The chardonnay turned out crisp and very clean.

I agree to all that has been said prior.

I would give cold stabilization a go first.

Unfortunately if it is a bright fruity chard you are looking for, the Malo has rounded that out. Since you did a Malo you could also let it sit on a little oak for some time which may help it round out a bit further

Thanks for the advice I thought after malolactic fermentation I didn't have to do cold stabilization

Malolactic fermentation converts the malic acid to a milder form of lactic acid giving it a rounder buttery characteristic you probably are after. If it is sharp and acidic (and not just tannins) then the CS will help drop some tartaric acid out, loweing the overall acid and making it a bit less sharp to the tongue.

Latest posts

Back