Central Illinois Clubs?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobr,

Would you recommend grow tubes and what kind, where from etc? I'm thinking I need some protection from the dog, who has shown interest in them. Since I only planted two i want to give them there best shot, if they even grow. Also at what point do you think I should be worried about them, since i did plant them a little late?

I have heard pros and cons on the grow tubes. With that being said, I have decided not to use grow tubes. For animal protection, I just picked up a small roll of.....Oh, I think that it's called hardware cloth, or wire, or something like that. I picked up a roll of 24" high x 10 ' long and I cut pieces around 30 or 34 inches and made tubes out them to put around the plant. You can find this this wire at your local farm store. I was thinking that you had a Farm& Home store in your area and that is where I bought my wire. Here is a photo of the wire tubes around my grapes. I thought that I had something better/closer, but I can't find it right now. It keeps the rabbits and squirrels away from my new plants and it still lets in sun and lets the air flow around the plant. If you are sold on grow tubes then I'd pick a few up and give them a try. Just remember that they need to be removed late summer/early fall to allow the plant to harden off. You can get them online from Orchard Valley Supply.

IMG_1357.jpg

I know Double A sells small qty of grow tubes, Blue X Shelters comes to mind. I had the chance to observe for an entire first season, from time vines were planted and tubes applied/removed, several of the same cultivar of vines, same batch, some purposely left without grow tubes so the vineyard owner could prove a point. That grow tubes create a mini greenhouse effect for the vines and the vine growth is extraordinary compared to the vines with no grow tubes. Growth was at upper 2nd wire long before the vines without grow tubes were extending beyond lower first wire. Plus the grow tube vines were lush, dense, and larger in diameter.

Sara (from KY)

So my grapes vines I planted last November have not started budding yet. I followed the instructions, but maybe I did something wrong, like cutting them to far down. I also probably should have just waited to plant them till Spring. Should I just go ahead and order more so I can get them in the ground now, or wait it out.

View attachment 7915

View attachment 7916

Wouldn't hurt to wait a little longer. Planting them in November was probably too late for around here, not unless you really mulched them in. I'd wait until the over night lows are out of the 30's before I'd plant again. The ground temp has not warmed up. When the local farmers start planting, then you will know that the ground temp is ok. I have 150 grape cuttings that failed to bud this year. Some did nothing at all and a few swelled, but didn't bud out. Grapes that I planted last Oct are just now starting to swell. It's just been too darn cold around here. As you know, we have had temps still down in the low 30's. Hopefully, this next week they are talking about a warm up with highs in the low 70's. Wait and see what happens then. I don't know what to do about my grape cuttings. About 90 of them are on heat mats and they are no better than those not on. For some, it's been close to 8 weeks since I got the cuttings. Who knows?

Anyone going to the Mackinaw Valley Wine and beer festival this next weekend?

I was just there this afternoon. Was up in Bloomington this morning, had lunch there and then headed over to Mackinaw. They are looking for volunteers to help with the festival, but I have grapes coming in about mid-week.....I hope and I don't want to get tied down with volunteering. Back in March, they were looking for help in doing some pruning and I did go up for that. I spent about 6 hours up there, but had to get back early to deal with a family member that was in the hospital. It sure is beautiful up there and if I were a little closer, I'd be there on a regular basis. The place looks like a park.

So, did you ever get anything from those vines that you planted? I don't know what happened this year, but out of 150 cuttings, only two leafed out. Worse year I ever had. I don't know if it was weather related or not. It was cold all the way up until last weekend with plenty of rain and very little sun shine. After getting the original cuttings, I even went back later in the month to try again and still noting. The second time around, the vines were beginning to swell and I thought, hey this is great, but once I got them in the moss, nothing happened.....not even the ones that were on heat mats. In fact, the two that leafed out were not on a heat mat.

elewis,
Did you make it over to Mackinaw Valley? Haven't heard from anyone, but it would look like all of the winery festivals around this area would have been rained out. Along with Mackinaw, I think that Willett's and Hill Prairie had weekend events.

My MIL and I did make it over Sat. They had the festivities under the pavilion. It was a little chilly, but the wine and music kept us warm. It was absolutely beautiful out there.

My vines did start to bud about the third week in May. I was so happy when that happened. While I planted them later and cut all the buds off they still survived. I hate making mistakes, but all my mistakes did teach me a lot about grape vines

Also has anyone else been fighting rabbits. When the buds turned to leaves and got big the rabbits became interested. One afternoon I checked on the vines then went inside for an hour. Came back outside and noticed one had been chewed in half. The next morning two of my four leaves were completely gone. So I rushed right out and got hardware cloth. Then after it was installed I caught one rabbit sitting by the vine. It made me so happy that she could not get my plant. Oh I also know it is a she because she had five babies in my yard :(.

I have not seen so many rabbits as I have this year. I have found some smaller vines chewed on. Checked on them today and found some vines had been chewed on five and six feet up. Either big rabbits, or I am now fighting the deer once again. Sprayed some liquid fence this afternoon, so I hope that it helps out. The deer, rabbits and turkey are thick around here. Never had turkey's feeding in my backyard before. What a spring! I have new grapes planted on a hillside and they are sitting in water. Never had standing water on a hillside before either. Just can not get ahead this year. Gosh where is the drought when you need it.

I never realized I had to worry about rabbits until they chewed up 5 out of the 6 vines I planted last spring.

I never realized I had to worry about rabbits until they chewed up 5 out of the 6 vines I planted last spring.

It has really been a bad year around here with rabbits, deer and turkeys. Looked out yesterday and there was a hen in my backyard eating green grapes off of the seven vines that I have in the backyard. Been using Liquid Fence and Repels-All for the deer and rabbits. The only thing that has been recommended for turkeys is a good outside dog, but after years of having dogs, I'm dogged out. I need to find a place that sells small sections of good quality bird netting. I picked up some cheap, worthless netting at Lowe's last year, but no one around sells anything that is good and useful. Lowe's sells the Repels All and all you have to do is sprinkle it around the plants, but since turkeys have no real sense of smell it does not bother them.

IMG_1727.jpg

Bobr,
Thinkin a shotgun and nuisance permit would be more aplical.

Ok, the wife and I hit three of the lucky7 wineries in this area. Started off at The Village Vineyard & Winery in Camp Point, then to Spirit Knob in Ursa and then over to Lake Hill in Carthage. Unfortunantly for me none of the proprietors were available for questions and answers. Figures the week I deside to make a trip is the same time the owners decide to take off. Nice peacefull day to just take a drive and taste some wines. I will try to get out in a few weeks and hit the others. Maybe I could catch afew of you there.

I have never been to any of your listed wineries, but out of the Lucky 7, I recently hit Hopewell Winery and Collver Family Winery in Barry. Last fall, I bought grapes from Baxter's and that was my first time there. On Thursday evening, during the summer months there is a farmers market that is held at the State fairgrounds and each week there is a winery there, along with a local brewery. Spirit Knob, Baxter's and Hopewell show up throughout the summer. Spirit Knob was at the first market back in May and Baxter's was just there last week. Hopewell will be there in Sept. The owner of Hopewell and Collver's seems to be friendly enough guys. The owner of Hopewell is great to talk winemaking with.

Anyone from Central Illinois going to the Italian Festival in the Peoria area this weekend? I went for the first time last year and had a good time. They had some awful tasting dry red wine there, so this year, I'm thinking of trying the white wine. It's a very family oriented event and is only held one day. http://www.italianamericansociety.com/3festa/index.html

Back