RJ Spagnols Cellar Master Chamblaise

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcullen

Junior
Reaction score
Just wondered if specific gravity of 1.000 is ok reading to transfer wine to carboy for 2nd fermentation? thanks!

Normal SG for transferring to secondary is somewhere between 1.000 to 1.020.
If you are at or below the point where your Cellar Masters' instruction say to transfer, go for it.

Thanks, the instructions say 0.998 or lower, however I know the last kit I made the SG stopped at 1.000 (it was a different type of kit) I was waiting extra days to see if it would move.....

It's always best to follow instructions. I don't see why you can't go ahead and move to secondary, especially if now is a better time for you..

It's always best to follow instructions. I don't see why you can't go ahead and move to secondary, especially if now is a better time for you..
Cellar Master kits probably have the 14 day primary instructions. 14 days in primary, rack to carboy, and immediately add the additives. (I say probably cause I haven't made one in 4-5 years.)

If they are the 14 days instructions, don't transfer until fermentation is complete. Check the sg on 2-3 days, it should drop to about .995.

Alternateively, rack to carboy when it is below 1.010, then wait till about day 16-18. Check the sg a couple of times, and when finished, rack carboy to carboy, and now do the additives.

Steve

Latest posts

Back