Cellar Craft Cellar Craft Instructions lacking detail!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Kid

Reaction score
I have started another kit. It is an old vine Zinfandel. I am 48 hours out and started with a SG of 1.086. I took another reading today and it was the same. However, being that Oak has been added to this must, I found that some of the the oak seeps into the wine thief. Does that affect the SG reading? If so, how do you keep such out of the thief?

One more question. The kit instuctions say to cover the must with the lid for the first 48 hours, but do not seal, just keep debris out. However, further in the instructions it does not mention sealling the lid after 48 hours. It simply states that fermentation should continue for six to eight days. Do I seal the plastic fermenter and attach my airlock, or simply lay the lid loosely on top to prevent debris from entering to let fermentation continue?
Being so new at this, I feel like I am constantly asking about something, but how else will I learn?!
smiley31.gif

You might want to try taking an sg reading by just sanitizing your hydrometer and take the reading dirctly from your primary fermenter. As for the lid, It is a matter of preferenc in my opinion as to whether you just leave the lid loose during primary or seal it and put an airlock on it. I personally just leave mine loose with a cloth covering the opening and the lid on top of it

As Waldo says, it is a matter of preference to seal or just cover. The important thing is to keep critters out of your must (flies, ladybugs, etc.) Just follow the instructions and continue to ask questions and just relax and enjoy the hobby. In 6 months to 1 year you will really appreciate it!

being a newbie myself, and trying to follow some of these criptic instructions, I've ended up trying both ways. Some times I'll have the cover on loose (just sitting on top basicly) and other times I've sealed the lid and added an airlock. Just remember if you do seal the lid, always add the airlock w/ water (or sanitizer) in it.
TinaLouise

I have not made a Cellar Craft so have not seen these directions, but, I'm wondering if it says do not seal for 48 hours because the yeast demands for oxygen are greatest in the first 48 hours and if you seal the lid they are afraid not enough oxygen will get in? If so, then they might be implying that after 48 hours the lid could be sealed (if desired) without the oxygen problem?

After reading the directions from several of my CC kits the directions just say to cover the primary. I usually use my 10 gallon primary and the lid just sort of sits on top loosely. Like Waldo said it really is your choice, like using the bags to hold the grape packs or oak, I don't use them. For me its more of a pain to dump everything in the bag then use a scoop or stainer when racking. Also when taking an SG reading I always when ever possible just sanitize the hydrometer and put it right in the bucket. After making a few kits you'll find what works best for you.
VPC

Having made kits from Cellar Craft, RJ Spagnols, and WineExpert, I think the Cellar Craft directions are the most detailed and easiest to understand.

That is what is so great about this forum. Lots of advice and tips for those areas that are not explained very well in the directions.

Robert

I seem to have a problem with directions as well. For example... I went to the doctor the other day and he said to take 1 pill 3 times a day....how do you do that?!

I've made lots of Cellar Craft, and I just put a dish towel over the top of the primary to keep stuff out. We don't have a cat and the primary is too high for the dog to reach. It's worked good so far.

I always snap the lid and have never had a problem with any fermentations. As for the SG, if you stir the must a little before you put the thief in all the wood chips should be around the sides and not in the middle so you can get a clean specimen.

maghvac said:
I seem to have a problem with directions as well. For example... I went to the doctor the other day and he said to take 1 pill 3 times a day....how do you do that?!

Your Doctor didn't say anything about taking a laxative with it did he ?
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back