Cellar Craft CC Showcase Barbera - Missing Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmke

Reaction score
The store had a clearance, so I picked up a CC Showcase Barbera for a steal. Date code is 4009 (Jan 9, 2014?). When home, I checked the box, and it is missing the yeast. I sent an e-mail to Vineco.

No big deal because I was thinking of using a different yeast anyway.

Any recommendations on a yeast for a Barbera?
Anyone else made the Showcase Barbera?

Also, while at the store, I saw a CC Showcase Amarone in a different box. Looks like Vineco is making the Showcase line more distinct with packaging different from the other lines. Similar to WE using a black box for its Eclipse line.

Last edited:
I almost bought that very box! I am going to do two Amarones (WE and CC) back-to-back. I was at NB last Thurs., and noticed that new Showcase box on the Amarone, but wound up getting the WE SI Amarone for the first one.

I'm 7 months into the CC Showcase Amarone.

Thursday? You should be there on Monday's after a Packer Win for your 20% off.

Richmke, if you have never done so, I suggest Lalvin Bourgovin 212 as a yeast. I like it with many of the reds I make but I must point out I have not made a Barbera.

Yeah, I know. :( I cannot really make it there on most Mondays. I get a 15% discount for AHA, so I only lose about $7.

As for yeast: if you are going to get going soon, i.e., not waiting to mail-order yeast, I would certainly second RC212. If I could choose any yeast for this wine, I think that I personally would choose BM45 or BM4x4.

Odd coincidence. I started a CC Showcase Amarone last Thursday and it was missing its yeast packet as well

Vineco said I had to contact the retailer, and they would contact the distributor who would .... :slp

I'm glad it was just an 80 cent yeast packet that I was going to swap out anyway. BTW: The missing yeast was EC-1118. I'll try the RC-212. My LHBS does not carry the BM's

My LHBS does carry Wyeast 4244 Red Italian for $6.99. Anyone have experience with that?

Last edited:
Rich,

Although I've never used Wyeast for wine, they are my go to for beer. Quality strains. Depending upon the age of the smack pack, you might want to let it rip 24 hours before you are ready to pitch. Sometimes they can be a bit slow to go.

I had e-mailed Vineco about the problem, and called them when I did not receive a response. The results of the call are in the post above.

Well, today, I received an envelope with a packet of EC-1118 yeast. I'm glad they did the right thing. Too bad they have bad communications.

Wyeast 4244 Italian Red Wine Yeast
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/wyeast-4244-italian-red-wine-yeast.html

The LHBS had them on sale for 50% off because they were 1/2 way through their 6 month life. So, I thought I would give it a try.

The LHBS suggested using a yeast starter to boost cell count before pitching. So, I am in the process of learning about yeast starters, and will probably start the yeast today for pitching by the weekend.
Smack it and let it activate for a day.
Pour it into a yeast starter (1 pint of water, 2 Tbs sugar, and 1/4 tsp of yeast nutrient). Let that sit for a day.
Then mix the kit and pitch the yeast.

I smacked (break the activation pack inside the pouch) the Wyeast 4244 Italian Red Wine Yeast on Wednesday evening, and by Thursday morning, the pouch had ballooned. I was expecting it to take a day or two.

Since it was ballooned, on Thursday morning, I mixed the starter and poured in the yeast slurry. On Thursday evening, it was fizzy, but no foam. On Friday morning, no foam, but when I shook it, it was a little volcano. On Friday night, and Saturday morning, I was a little more careful shaking it. Upon further reflection, there was probably no foam because there is nothing to become foamy (build bubbles from the CO2).

Saturday morning, I mixed the kit, and poured in the yeast slurry. By Saturday evening, I could detect some fizz. On Sunday morning, there was a little foam. On Sunday evening, there was some staining on the inside wall of the pail - evidence that it has foamed and subsided. Gave it another stir, and lots of foam.

My first time making a yeast starter. It worked like a champ.

Note: I used Dextrose, and not table sugar, to make the yeast starter. I was reading that the yeast is used to metabolizing one type of sugar, and if you switch, it makes for grumpy yeast. So, I was hoping that the dextros is closer to the type of sugar in grapes. Ideally, you would use the grape juice to make the yeast starter, but that would require reconstituting the kit, and having it sit for a few days - which defeats the purpose of making the yeast starter (get the juice fermenting ASAP).

Glad to hear the Wyeast worked out well!

Yeah, I know. :( I cannot really make it there on most Mondays. I get a 15% discount for AHA, so I only lose about $7.

Well, the nice thing about Monday Night Football (and the win) is that the sale is on Tuesday! I may just head down there today to snag the CC Showcase Amarone. Between the 20% discount and the $150-in-cards-for-$125 deal, I am walking away with this kit for $120 American dollars + tax ($6.72). :db

Well, the nice thing about Monday Night Football (and the win) is that the sale is on Tuesday! I may just head down there today to snag the CC Showcase Amarone. Between the 20% discount and the $150-in-cards-for-$125 deal, I am walking away with this kit for $120 American dollars + tax ($6.72). :db

Correction: The kit was listed at only $165 in the store (as opposed to $180 online), so with the Packer's discount, it was $132 when I picked it up today. After the discounted gift card, this only cost me $110 dollars + tax. Whoo hoo! :r

Last edited:
Nice score.

I have one kit in the primary, and 2 kits waiting their turn. I have 1 empty 6-gallon carboy, and 2 empty 5-gallon carboys. It will be another month or so before it is time to rack from a 6 gallon to a 5 gallon (plus another glass bottle). So it will be a while before it is time to buy another kit. Plus, I have most of the high end kits they offer. I don't have room for any more carboys.

So, I have been using the 20% off and the gift card special to pick up a case of bottles a week for around $9.25 per case.

Latest posts

Back