Cellar Craft CC Red Mountain

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never made the CC Red Mountain, but I've tasted it and its one of the best wines I've ever had. The one I tasted had a little more oak added and was over 2 years old. I WOULD NOT add raisins unless you want it to taste like raisins. I completely understand your desire to tweak your kit...I was the same exact way when I started (as were most people I'm guessing). But I think it's important to stick pretty close to the instructions on your first one, and find out how and why things are done first before deviating. You've got a really good kit there...follow the directions, maybe add a little more oak if you like oaky smokey wines, and give it a year before you judge how you like it (because we all know you're not going to wait a year to drink some).

I've never made the CC Red Mountain, but I've tasted it and its one of the best wines I've ever had. The one I tasted had a little more oak added and was over 2 years old. I WOULD NOT add raisins unless you want it to taste like raisins. I completely understand your desire to tweak your kit...I was the same exact way when I started (as were most people I'm guessing). But I think it's important to stick pretty close to the instructions on your first one, and find out how and why things are done first before deviating. You've got a really good kit there...follow the directions, maybe add a little more oak if you like oaky smokey wines, and give it a year before you judge how you like it (because we all know you're not going to wait a year to drink some).

You know, I agree about the raisins. Maybe it is not true for everyone, but every wine I have added raisins to, ends up tasting of raisins. That might be a more typical taste for Italian wines, but not for a nice Washington Cab. Just my opinion, though.

I've never been able to bring myself to add raisins to anything. If I think a must needs something, I add grape juice or grape juice concentrate.

What about going the opposite direction and letting it sit on the skins and yeast for a month before going to secondary? Or is it critically important to not let a wine fully ferment before racking?

Please heed ibeglowin's advice!!! This IS the best cab kit out there. Just follow the directions and let it age. You will be glad that you did!!!! :)
Kathie

The comment about snapping the lid down as the SG drops caught my eye. I did not do that with my kit. I left the lid resting on top with the hole open. It took about 7 days to get the SG to .996 and I just racked to second carboy. Based on your comment about the lid, do you think I'm O.K.?
Thank you,
Tony

Tony, I have never snapped my lids on. I do put a washcloth over the hole in the lid to keep fruit flies, gnats, etc out of the wine.

So, do I need to use the fining agents they gave me or can I bulk age for a year and ignore them?

Yes, it will take longer, but you certainly can let the wine clear on its own. Just keep the free SO2 level up during that time.

Sounds good...everyone keeps telling me to follow the directions on my first kit, but I seem to have issues with following directions.

You picked a great kit for starters.

Once you get a few kits under your belt, man, are you going to have fun! Experimenting is always fun and mostly rewarding. Just get the process down well before you move out on your own.

Did I really say that?!!!

I've made this kit twice and it's quite good. Put the skins in a bag, use the supplied yeast, and plan to age it a year or so before it's really good. I prefer a fermentation temp of 68-72, and I use an Ice Cube cooler with water to help keep the temp constant and readily manageable.

IMHO I would not deviate from the kit instructions at all until you have made several kits. The people at CC want you to be a happy customer, and they've done a good job.

Hello,
You put your fermentation bucket or 6 gal. carboy in an Ice Cube cooler? What size / brand do you use. Will the lid fit with the airlock in place? I've been looking for this type of solution.
thank you,
Tony

Yes, I put the bucket in the cooler. Here's the one I use (I have 2 of them)

http://www.igloocoolers.com/MaxCold/70-Quart-Ice-Cube-MaxCold-Roller

For managing fermentation temps, these are invaluable. I used them for many years brewing lager beer and they worked perfectly. With the 6.5 gallon glass carboys I found I could cut out the tops to fit over the carboy. With the 7.9 Gallon plastic fermentors I can't use the lids, so I just use old blankets. If you are only trying to bump up (or down) the temp by 10 degrees, you don't have to use anything. Just adjust the water temp twice a day. Heat tends to dissipate more than cold (heat rises) so keep that in mind. If you want to keep your Chocolate Raspberry Porter at 80F in a 60F basement, I'd definitely use a blanket at least.

Sounds good...everyone keeps telling me to follow the directions on my first kit, but I seem to have issues with following directions.

IMO the best reason for following directions for the first time with a kit is so you'll know which tweaks/mods/changes you want to make the next time.

It's hard to figure out how to get somewhere when you don't know where you're starting from.

There is always a chance that you'll like a kit sooooooooo much that you won't want to tweak at all when you make it again ... and again ... and again ...

If you insist on drinking this one while it's young, I'd reduce the oak. If you plan on waiting at least a year or two, I would not change a thing.

Latest posts

Back