Cellar Craft CC Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
Porto Corinto - Ruby Port & Black Currant

Classic ruby port infused with flavourful black currant. Intense, rich and
savory! 16% alcohol. Enjoy after 2 or 3 weeks aging. Best after a year in the
bottle.

I just bought this kit. Anyone tried this one? And is it as good as the chocolate/raspberry port?
Kathie

I have not made that one (believe it or not) but have heard nothing but good about it. After the LaBodega Port that is the next best Port kit they say (regular).

Thanks Mike. Sounds encouraging. Going to start it this weekend.
On another note, I can tell you that 5 gal paint strainer bags literally saved my amarrone!! I had a fleeting thought to just ditch it all.
But I strained all the juice in a fermenter bucket, squeezed out that strainer bag of all the goodies and it smells awesome!!
smiley17.gif
I was pleasantly surprised.
PS. Still PO'd about the MM directions on that one tho.
smiley7.gif

Kathie

Mike,
Good thing I have some 2009 amarrone as a backup for the long wait!!
smiley36.gif

Started the Porto Corinto yesterday. No bubbly activity....yet. Should I be worried or give it a good stir??Followed the directions to a "T".

All depends.
What is the temp of the must?Did you sprinkle yeast on top our rehydrate?
I always rehydrate (100-104 degrees F for 15min) and stir in to the must. I always see a little activity in 2-3 hours and its going pretty strong by 8-14hrs.

Don't worry - the sweet wines seem to have a slower, fizzier primary fermentation in my experience. The Porto Corinto is really good; the currant flavor is subtle, so you mostly get a classic port taste. The last time I made it, I added some cognac to about 8-10 of the 375 mL splits, and after a year or so, it had integrated really nicely. Still a little 'hot' compared to the bottles without the cognac.

I've made the Porto Corinto kit 3 times. By far, it's my personal favorite over other port kits I've done. I usually fortify it with a bottle of brandy before bottling. It tastes nice right out of the gate, but you will be rewarded if you can resist the urge to open early. I was able to save about 3 bottles that were 3 years old and they were absolutely terrific. You will love it!

Hope that helps.

I've made the Porto Corinto kit 3 times. By far, it's my personal favorite over other port kits I've done. I usually fortify it with a bottle of brandy before bottling. It tastes nice right out of the gate, but you will be rewarded if you can resist the urge to open early. I was able to save about 3 bottles that were 3 years old and they were absolutely terrific. You will love it!

Hope that helps.

The Porto is starting to bubble away. Thank goodness. Glad to hear this kit is a good one. Do not know how to fortify, so I will be pleased with the natural outcome of the kit itself. :)
Kathie

Mike, might take you up on the offer. It is still in the fermenting bucket atm.

Let me know what stage we "fortify" it. ;)

Kathie

The concept of fortifying and calculating the alcohol level seems easy enough, but as they say, it's easier said than done. Considering the small volume you are working with (3 gallons), your measurements need to be quite precise to avoid over-doing it. Fortifying affects not only the alcohol level, but dilutes/modifies the mouthfeel, 'wine' flavor and overall quality, in ways that are impossible to describe in words (fortifying with Everclear versus brandy/cognac results in very different 'finished' products, in numerous ways). On the other hand, not enough fortifying and you won't notice any difference, and will be frustrated that you wasted your time and effort. Another variable is that it takes an unpredictable amount of time for the fortifying addition to integrate with the port - maybe 6 months, maybe 2 years.
Having not done it with the Porto Corinto before, I didn't want to potentially ruin the whole batch, so I decided to fortify only a portion - which left me with the problem of separating that portion and knowing how many bottles that would fill (you know, talk is cheap; doing it can be a whole 'nother ballgame). After looking at my carboy ready to fill 20-odd bottles with port, the measured out cognac and my calculations of how much to add to ~40% of the 3 gallons but not knowing how to divide the port into another vessel without making a mess and spending 2 more hours on it, I gave up. In the end, I simply added a shot (~1.5 oz) of cognac to 9 or 10 375-mL bottles, and crossed my fingers. I like the finished product, but I wouldn't recommend this procedure to anyone else.

Fortification is the last step usually. Follow your instructions but I stabilized and fined mine including adding the sorbate since this had an f-pack added as well. After it was clear I added the f-pack and then let it sit for awhile (topped up). Then I added one 750ml bottle of Brandy per gallon of starting wine. That will bring it up to 19% ABV which is what most Ports are. You can add less than that if you don't want it that high but that ratio will make a true commercial styled Port. I then let it "marry" for about 4-5 months or until I couldn't stand waiting anymore it tasted that good!

Last edited:
My opinion - even if the instructions don't call for it, add a nice, plain bottle of Brandy, anyway.

My opinion - even if the instructions don't call for it, add a nice, plain bottle of Brandy, anyway.

Robie and Mike,

I think I will take your advice and add a nice bottle of brandy to it. Not knowing anything about a good bottle of brandy, any suggestions as to the brand of brandy you would use?
Thanks~
Kathie

I used the E&J VSOP and E&J XO brandy. I looked in quite a few liquor stores (hey it was "research" right?) and this seemed to be the best quality bang for the buck out there. IIRC I purchased for ~$12 a bottle. I used 6 bottles (3 of each type) for my 6 gallons of Port wine. This turned out FANTASTIC! I ended up with 8 gallons of finished Port wine.

Bottled it all in 375ml Splits I should have Port for 3-5 years!

Back