WineXpert Castellina Supertuscan Di Siena

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody that has made this Limited Edition kit, how long have you been aging it? Anybody have theirs bottled yet? I started mine three months ago and don't know how long I should wait to bottle it. It's clear enough to bottle now, but I don't want to rush it.
smiley5.gif

Translation.... I would really like to have an excuse to sample a little before storing it away for another 6 months to a year.
smiley2.gif
smiley19.gif

appleman said:
Translation.... I would really like to have an excuse to sample a little before storing it away for another 6 months to a year.
smiley2.gif
smiley19.gif

I was tought by the very best.......... no, not him................ Waldo..... and he says sample, sample, sample every step of the way. So, I interpret that as meaning to sample a bit for every step I take to get to the carboy............ 31, 32, 33,34,35...........................

You could always rack to a 3 gallon.........................

Its not a limited edition as it is part of the regular lineup, but I don't think that its even 6 months released yet is it? It must be pretty darn close to 6 months for the release, but there would only be a select few that could taste an aged version of this.

Tim V. doesn't live that far from me! Maybe I could convince him to hand me a bottle if he had any on hand
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Dean

You're right Dean, DUHH. It's been so long since starting it, I forgot- I couldn't get any of the Limited Editions of last year, so I opted for trying this one. I have sampled along the way, and it is good. Would you bottle yet or let it bulk age?

Richard - I, too, started this kit about the same time you did. I still have it in the carboy with oak cubes. I will try to bottle it in several weeks since the time on oak has been about enough, and the wine is certainly clear. Of all the kits I've made, I have to say that this one is the most tannic of any and will certainly need a year minimum to age. To bottle now or bulk age? You could go either way, but in my opinion it wouldn't be fair to the wine to begin drinking too soon.

I'd probably bottle it myself, as wine will age a little faster in the bottles. I think that they anticipate an early bottling, so they base their taste aging on that. Besides, if you bottle it, take 2-3 bottles and make them splits to get 4-6 375ml bottles. Use these ones as tasters at 3 month intervals to see how your wine is coming along
smiley4.gif

Dean said:
take 2-3 bottles and make them splits to get 4-6 375ml bottles. Use these ones as tasters at 3 month intervals to see how your wine is coming along
smiley4.gif

Thanks Dean, great tip. Now why didn't I think of that?

Started mine 7-03-06. Took a sip last Saturday night and it was good !!! Going to wait1 more month before bottling. It's going to be hard wait a whole year on this one but I know it's just going to get better. It's got some nice smooth tannins right now but the berry flavor has not come around just yet; like I'm hoping it will. This will be the next kit I will buy because 30 bottles ain't going last long when it has it's 1 year birthday.

Latest posts

Back