Carboy Headspace

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patc

Reaction score
Once again I'm in need of knowledge and i am sure this has been covered but when doing an alljuice pail kit if you rack well meaning leaving very little behind it seems that in an italian carboy the level will be approximately four inches from the bung is this too much headspace? is it o.k. as long as you astabalize and use aan air lock and add KMeta when needed? When you look at the videos that george has posted he makes reference to the fact that he is racking to a 6 gallon carboy is this a mexican carboy? I really would rather niot rack to a five gallon and lose 3/4 gallon and the kits specifically say they make 30 bottles but i do know that depends on how well you rack. Could some shed some light on this?

When I will rack to a 5 gallon carboy I put the extras in 1/2 jugs and I even found some 3/4 gallon jugs. You can also use a #2 bung (I think that is the size) and use wine bottles. You can use clean sanitized glass marbles to help fill up the space as well.
VC

Latest posts

Back