CARBOY HANDLES

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Seems a bit of a discussion on carboy handles in another part of this forum. Has anyone had a problem with hauling full carboys with the carboy handles??? [like the neck breaking??? etc]I saw a warning in one of the supply catalogs that they are meant for handling empty carboys and for use while washing.....we have since quit using the handles on full carboys....What are your thoughts???? Martina can haul full ones without the use of handles
smiley32.gif
WOW!!!!What a lady!!!!

A good topic to start if there is the chance of a "catastrophic loss" (I can
hear my wife now
smiley7.gif
).

George, do you know what manufacturers of your products recommend?

Martina's technique is the same as I use for moving full carboys. I agree the handles should never be used to move full carboys since the weight could cause enough stress on the neck to break it. That being said I have handles on all my carboys mainly for safety reasons when handling empty and washing.

"Slippery when wet"
smiley36.gif

I agree with Masta. I bought my handles to aid in handling the bottle during washing and sanatizing, the get very hard to hold on to when soapy. I could never imagine handling a full carboy with these handles.

I also have one of those carboy harnesses, which are great to put on the carboy when they are empty. They work well, and are very helpful (and you can lift them with both hands, without even touching the neck of the carboy) for most carboys. They are for the 5 and 6 gallon size, and are made of thick material.

The only thing I have a slight problem is, but that's more of my problem is that when I have my carboys on the table (usually), I'm not tall enough to really make them effective. It's sort of hard to explain, but the handles of the thing are too high for me to get good leverage. When, however the carboys are on the floor, they work great. The stupid thing for me is, as well, is that I like to lift them onto the table. That's why you see a small stepstool in many earlier pictures of mine. I used to use it to lift the carboy on the table, but since once it tipped over, with me on it and a full carboy in my arms, I decided the "neck-lift-bottom hold" method was a lot better.

The bottom line is, I guess, is that I'm too short.
smiley5.gif

Carboys fit in milk crates too....the heavy real milk crates. Up to an 8 gallon will fit in them, they are square and you can grab the handles and hoist...but am sure accidents will happen no matter what you try.

I, like Martina use the neck and bottom lifting technique. It just doesn't seem secure unless my hands are actually on it.

Ramona

rgecaprock said:
I, like Martina use the neck and bottom lifting technique. It just doesn't seem secure unless my hands are actually on it.

Ramona

Besides you can give your wine a little hug in the process
smiley4.gif

Even us manly men and wine need a hug once in a while!

I have been using carboy handles on my carboys for 4 years. Whenever I get a new carboy, I immediately put a handle on it and it never comes off. I use the handles to carry my carboy from my fermentation area to my cellar. I use them to lift full carboys to elevate them. I have never had one neck break.

They are designed for this purpose and I disagree with the other supply company, which is the only place I have ever seen that warning. I have dropped 2 carboys that did not have handles and none that did. My recommendation is handles, or if you prefer the brew hauler, shown above.

Great question!
smiley32.gif
We've been using the handles to carry our full carboys, and never had one break. But, the thought of it happening was more than we can bare. We will be getting a sling for the carboys and this way we can both carry the load up and down the stairs, together. The financial cost alone of losing 6 gallons of wine, the carboy and the wrecked carpet is more than most can afford to lose. I think we'd both cry if it happened. There may be no usein crying over spilled milk, but this isn't milk!
smiley19.gif

The slings seem the most prudent thing. When there are two people present
they can share the load. I'm thinking cold stabilization, going in and out of
doors, up and down steps. Give the carboy a hug when lifting up to a table
smiley31.gif

We bought 2, 8 gallon carboys at a garage sale this past summer. When we got home one had a cracked neck...wonder who was man-handling that one. Suppose the extra weight on an 8 gallon one is something to consider when hefting the big guys around by the neck.

smiley5.gif
Handles or Haulers.

I am definately still a newbie to wine making but I too use the handles on all of my carboys. I do however use my left hand on the bottom when raising them up onto the table to do my rackings. Not much safety factor there I guess if the neck did break.

For what its worth We use handles of course but we have a one story house. My daughter came up with moving the primaries and carboys around on a skateboard. Sure keeps from being shaken and with the handle easy to drive.

To move the carboys, I often use one of those plant-roller-things.

2005-12-14_073839_rollercarts.jpg

These are very fancy versions of them, but you can get them at any home-depot/big lots/walmart/target/kmart/sams club/drugstore (in the summer) or anywhere, really.

The moving around is not a problem, it's the up and down. I feel like I need
a chair lift or something.Edited by: peterCooper

Latest posts

Back