Carbonic maceration in fruit wines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blumentopferde

Reaction score
I stunmbled upon carbonic maceration, the anaerobic whole-bunch-fermentation that is used for Beaujolais Nouveau, in the grape growing forum and having a small research on it, it seemed to have some advantages that could be useful in fruit wines:
Reduction of acidity and higher fruitiness. I think that some fruits could really profit from that.

Icouldn't find anything about carbonic maceration in fruit wines though and so I wonder if it even is feasible. Will it only work with grapes or are there other fruits that are suitable as well? Does anyone have experience with this?

As far as I know true carbonic maceration refers to the fermentation going on inside intact grapes .. I don't know if this works for other fruits, maybe it could for other berry-type fruits (elderberries, red currants). But the basic idea of protecting the ferment with CO2 so it's as anaerobic as possible could be fruitful (so to speak)

Thanks for your reply!
It was actually one of your threads where I first heard of carbonic maceration ;)

Seems like this is one of the things I'll have to try out in the future....

Latest posts

Back