Carbonating cider w/ Champagne yeast and sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramble

Reaction score
I was referring to a summary overview for cider and found the suggested yeast addition (post fermentation) for carbonation is given as 1/4 ~1/2 tsp champange yeast.
However, it does not state (in that location) per what volume. (elsewhere... 1 gallon is mentioned.)

My question is, does that sound about right? (1/4 ~1/2 tsp champange yeast / ~4 L)
Why specify champagne yeast?

if you have not added any k-meta or sorbate you have not killed any yeast from the original fermentation so just sugar addition at dosage of 3/4 cup per 5 gallons. champagne yeast is a common term EC1118 would be the suggested yeast. normal fermentation dosage for yeast is about 1 gram per gallon not sure what eh equal in tsp would be but 1/4tsp seems right. it is the sugar amount of concern it establishes the carbonation level and the co2 pressure levels. the yeast will consume whatever sugar amount you supply and the die out as sediment to much yeast more sediment.

Thanks salcoco.
1gm per gal sounds like std dose for fermenting wines... I was thinking it might be less for carbonation of ciders ... I don't know about tsps either
but I prefer grams anyhow. Thanks for translation of common term into clear language. Still wonder what promotes the call for Champagne yeast over other categories of yeast. I guess I should review the features of EC1118; which I have used but don't recall much about.

Haha- just read on EC-1118 official page they actually suggest using more for bottle conditioning (0.4 to 0.25 g /l for fermenting wines vs
0.5g /l for bottle conditioning)

Last edited:
Thanks salcoco.
1gm per gal sounds like std dose for fermenting wines... I was thinking it might be less for carbonation of ciders ... I don't know about tsps either
but I prefer grams anyhow. Thanks for translation of common term into clear language. Still wonder what promotes the call for Champagne yeast over other categories of yeast. I guess I should review the features of EC1118; which I have used but don't recall much about.

Haha- just read on EC-1118 official page they actually suggest using more for bottle conditioning (0.4 to 0.25 g /l for fermenting wines vs
0.5g /l for bottle conditioning)

They call for Champagne yeast because it tolerates a higher alcohol content and can chew up whatever sugar is in the bottle to carbonate your cider. The overview you were reading is assuming your fermentation yeast is dead, and one of two things. Either you primed the bottle with additional sugar or there is residual sugar left after fermentation.

The point about alcohol tolarance makes sense.

I usually think of cider as a medium to high-medium alcohol drink well below most yeast's alcohol tolerance (?)
... so it seems like "overkill"
but I guess the saying "better safe than sorry" applies.

Are there lots of high alcohol ciders that really need the extra capacity?

Latest posts

Back