Caps for Secondary Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pavel314

Junior
Reaction score
I've made a few batches of sparkling fruit wine recently and always run into the same problem. When I put the wine into the Champagne bottles for the secondary fermentation, about a third of them leak slightly while lying on their sides. The ones that leak retain sufficient carbonation to disgorge but it seems wrong that they leak at all.

The caps are all metal and, although I tighten them as much as possible with the capper device, I suspect that the metal-to-glass doesn't make a good seal. Does anyone have a source for metal caps with cork liners for a better seal? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul

the European champagne bottles are different size than American bottles. I believe Europe is 29mm while American is 22mm. check with your supply house for two sizes.

You will know immediately if you have a European size bottle. The lip will be pulverized if you cap it with an American cap.

Sounds to me that you have either inferior bottles, inferior caps, or an inferior capper.

I have never had an issue with my cap leaking.

Back