Can sour wine can be consider as Dry wine???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savana123

Reaction score
I am a bit confuse here and I am very anxious to know whether we can consider sour wine as dry wine I mean it is really very important for me to know this. Please help me out with this.

one definition:

Dry wine is a result of the level of residual sugar remaining after fermentation. The level ranges from a full dry wine, where all sugar has been converted to alcohol,.....

________

so is the sourness due to acidity level?....if so, there are solutions...what is the reason for your inquiry?

Yoiu can have a very sweet wine that is also very sour so really the answer is no. Do you own a hydrometer Savana? If not you really need to get one, they are only like $10 and very easy to read and your wine will be much better having one and youll have a much better knowledge of what is going on with your wine. If you do not have one you are flying blind.

I am a bit confuse here and I am very anxious to know whether we can consider sour wine as dry wine I mean it is really very important for me to know this. Please help me out with this.
Personally, I would think that a sour wine is a wine that is BAD for some reason. While a dry wine is probably exactly what I was looking for.

However, different people have different experiences, and sour may mean something different to you than it does to me.

Steve

Sour wine is usually considered to be vinegar. Think of a cooking example, Sweet and sour food has sugar or fruit for the sweet and vinegar for the sour.

Last edited:
I disagree Craig. My first blackberry, because of unripe fruit was sour. Sugar and glycerine, while not the complete answer made it drinkable as long as long as you are eating something along with it. My second batch, using unripe fruit became pretty good with the addition of potassium bicarbonate. Point being, because it is sour does not mean to dump it.

Thanks for the replies here and now I am not in much confusion anymore. I will get into this little more so that I can be little sure of the things that are needed.

Latest posts

Back