Can No. 9 corks be used with hand corkers?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phermenter

Reaction score
I see at least one poster says with the Gilda hand corker, No. 8 corks are easier to work with than No. 9s. Is this the prevailing opinion?

I haven't bottled a batch yet (the ultimate newbie) but have bought a Gilda and a bag of 100 No. 9s.

Any ideas? Thanks.

If you use a hand corker you will need to learn how to get the cork all the way in. A wet cork helps. getting the speed down helps too. Not too slow or fast ,never stop, and still you willleave 2 out of 30 sticking out. I would get a floor corker before changing to 8s.
No harm done you can pull the cork back out and try again.

The type of cork used makes a big difference also. In ex. George's perfect agglomerate corks have thick coating on them which helps the cork slide in and out of the bottle much easier. I have never dealt with that corker so cant help you there. I use to use the Portuguese dble. lever hand corker and it worked with 9's but did struggle some times.In my opinion these are the best corks out there.
<table ="Catalog" id="products" width="100%" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><t><tr><td ="table" width="2%" align="default"><div align="center">2320A </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2320_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Straight Corks - Fine Vine Wines Perfect Agglomerate #9 X 1.75 (Bag of 30)

Package of 30</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$5.39</td>
<td width="2%">
</td></tr></t></table>

Rocky Top said : "A wet cork helps"

Wet?? as in wet it w water first?

Water and corks are not a good mixture, you can harbor bacteria in them that way. It is okay to get a colander and pour a k-meta/water sanitizer over the corks to sanitize them and that will help you get them in the bottle a little easier.

Yes, wet with sterilizer.

This is off the suject. I have been in several winerys in the south and they use 1/2 strength sterilizer ( 1oz per gal patassium metabisulphite) with some food coloring in it for there air locks. The air locks can be nine feet off the floor. It makes it easyer to see the level. It also gives a tell tale sign when the sterilizer back feeds. With all the great pictures that Ihave seen, I have not seen any colored air locks.

Back