Quantcast

Can I start my white?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

skyfire322

Reaction score
I've got two six gallon carboys and a primary. One of the carboys is my red which is bulk aging for the next month and a half, so I was curious if I could start the white (RJS Reisling Traminer).

I was thinking by the time the white is done fermenting and clarifying, both would be ready to bottle at the same time, or if it should bulk age for a little bit of time.

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
you can start the white but I would age the red at least 3-6 months. purchase another carboy so that you can rack the wine a few times.

skyfire322

Reaction score
purchase another carboy so that you can rack the wine a few times.
This hobby is infectious! Payday is next week, so I'll probably grab another ;) the lack of space in my house is disturbing so I guess it's time to get a bigger place! Hahahaha

The only reason I ask is because I'm not sure if whites (Riesling in particular) would benefit from bulk aging for a little bit of time or not.

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
2-3 months after clearing would not deter the wine it will be better.

Johny99

Reaction score
I like to keep the aromatics in my Riesling so I bottle in December for a September harvest. I've also let it bulk age till spring with good result. So I second a 2-3 month bulk aging for it.

Latest posts