Can i plant in august: California

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorgelta2

Junior
Reaction score
Looking to replace 40 or so plants from a year old vineyard that didnt survive. th enursery i gotthese from will give me 10 for free but i will by the rest.. Problem is they will not be ready until august, the hottest part of the summer. I was wondering if anyone thinks this would be an issue. What are the pros and cons of planting in august vs spring next year?

Shouldn't be a problem as long as the vines are healthy and you can keep them watered through the heat of late Summer and into the Fall. I am assuming these are NOT bare root stock but planted in small containers of sorts also that you can easily transplant into your area. This will give them a good jump on next Spring.

You don't say where in California, (except northern, in another post).

Around here, (San Luis Obispo) August is about the hottest month. I'd consider having the nursery hold them until late September or October, about when the rainy season started.

Else, I think I'd pre-dig all of the holes a week or 2 before planting, and water the heck out of them to get as much water into the ground as deep possible. Then plant, and maybe mulch a little.

The bigger question I would want answered is why the first vineyard failed...

Thanks for such quick responses.. I have 100 durif, 60 sangiovese and 40 zinfandel I am located in the Town of Rough and Ready. gets pretty cold and we get snow about 5 miles up.. The vineyard was planted last year around september , from what i understand this is the first year they have come out of dormancy. I believe the plants were not covered properly, and i know they were being watered up until i came in late december. most of the origional plant died but new shoots came up above the grafting. so out of 200 vines about 40 of them did not come back.

Go for it. I just replanted a number of sangiovese, zin, and cab franc last week. I had planted the origionals in late Feb. but a few did not make it so I replanted. They seem to be doing fine, but I am watering them every 3d day. I live in San Diego, so it is not that hot. Watering will be your makor issue. Just my two-cents worth. Good luck, Gary

Back