WineXpert Can I lower the alcohol content?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman

Junior
Reaction score
I've made many kits and some turn out really potent. I would rather stay in control drinking with friends not having to stop after two glasses to keep my sanity. I make a WineXpert Washington Riesling adding a blackberry reduction. Makes a remarkable improvement but still pretty potent in alcohol. Wondering if possible to tone it down by killing the yeast early or other tweek in the process.

You would need to reduce the sugar content in the beginning. You can do this by adding more water but you would be diluting the flavor a bit unless the blackberry is enough to make up for it.

What stage is the blackberry reduction being added?

There's also always the Island Mist kits...I think those are designed to have lower alcohol and will have fruit flavor, as well.

Lowering the alcohol in a kit , probably not a good idea as it will throw it out of balance.

I'm wondering if the kit really is that potent as most are geared for 12.5 percent which is lower than the common 14% plus of commecial wine.

if its a taste thing and the wine tastes hot let it age more , if its a head wobbly thing some tips.

try the mist kits , they are much lower in alcohol.
or make fruit wines where you can set the sugar levels

use smaller glasses .

when I'm having a session with other winemakers it can get a bit heady , so I always make sure I have a full stomach and I often have a pacer glass of water between glasses of wine. a nice bottled water on the table and some nice glasses is actualy a classytouch and will help everyone. every professional tasteing I have been to does this.

the blackberry addition you did would only add sugar and make the wine stronger.

when all else fails , drink less, everyone metabolises wine at differnt rates.

my brother in law can drink beer till the cows come home but 3 glasses of wine and he's a mess.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the fast responses. I'm sure the blackberry added isn't increasing the food to the yeast thus increasing alcohol. I add it at clarifying stage along with sorbate that stops the yeast.

I get advice now and then from George at "The Winemakers Toy Store" in Texas. According to George, sorbate doesn't stop yeast, it stops it from starting up again. I'm wondering if I added the sorbate early if it would stop the yeast thus lowering the alcohol content. George says no and not to alter the procedure of the kit.

Latest posts

Back