Cellar Craft Caliornia North Coast Grand Red Pressurized Juice Bag

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coaster

Reaction score
I just started mine last night. The juice bag was full of pressure, like pushing the box out of square. I had set it off to the side and didn't notice until last night so I opened it quick and mixed it up. Not sure what is going on. I often store kits for a few months until I get several and then do them back to back. Starting SG was 1.080. It’s was fermenting this morning when I checked on it. Anyone else have a similar symptom?

I don't know anything about that product. Is it a kit or just juice?
If it wasn't under pressure when you first got it, it is likely that it started fermenting. Either that or a huge change in storage temperature, which is not likely.

It should be just fine, though.

I just did one last night too! But it was pressured up. Everything appeared to be fine with mine, except i pitched the yeast last night and it was barely bubbling this morning so i moved it to a slightly warmer room. The room i was in was 21 degrees C (70 F). My guess is it may been in a overly warm storage place? How was your fermenting this moring?

I guess it's feasible that it started fermenting, but I can't imagine that bag would hold too much pressure, and the lack of O2 in there wouldn't make for much of a fermentation environment. Your SG sounds very low though, so maybe it was fermenting. My Grand Red started at 1.102 after several hours with the grape pack in it. Are you sure you got the SG right?

Robie: The Grand Red is one of the limited release kits from Vineco this year.

Jim

It's a KenRidge LE kit from this year.

I checked the juice before I put the grapes in and before I put the oak in. I leave a hydrometer in the bucket as I go and this morning it was still right around 1.080. I didn't check in detail jsut glanced before I stirred.

I suppose it could be a temp change but it's been in the hosue all summer. Mine is fermenting slowly. I stirred and there were obvious signs (bubbles, smell). Temp on the bucket says 81, temp in the house is upper 70's. What was your starting SG?

Last edited:
Do you live at altitude? As I am sure robie can verify, going from sea level to altitude causes things to expand.

David, if the must smelled good when you pitched the yeast, since the SG was still very high when you started it, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You will likely never know what the issue was.

I'll bet it will turn out just fine.

Taken forever to get a good ferment going.. Had to move it upstairs to get a higher temp going. Anyone else have a slow start?

Back