WineXpert California Sauvignon Blanc Rosé

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim that actually looks good to me! We opened 3 WA Rose's this weekend and all 3 had different colors. The most expensive of the bunch and best of the three (EFESTE Oldfield Rose) was also the lightest in color.

Oldfield%20estate%20Rose.jpg

So it looks like you may have lightened it up a bit by added regular SB. I will be moving mine to secondary either this evening or tomorrow depending on SG tonight.

Plus you still have half an f-pack or did you already add the rest of the f-pack?

Half in primary, and the other half when I stabilized.

Will be curious to see if you and Varis have similar color.

Last edited:
Just to be explicit for us slow thinkers: You were worried that the Cali SB Rose would be too dark, and it actually turned out too light? Did I get that right?

Sorry to hear it...

No. It just looks kinda brownish to me. I was thinking that somehow the f-pack was oxidized. It is a little light, sure; but that wasn't my main concern.

Then it would be way too sweet for my taste! :s

Adding it upfront should not change the color IMHO.

Personally I think it may.
I did put a bit up front, maybe less than 1/4.
Ill stabilize mine later today.

What will you top up with?

Post pics after it has cleared.

Either a store bought or I may consider Luna Bianca if not too much needed.
I'll post pics.

Last edited:
Then it would be way too sweet for my taste! :s

Adding it upfront should not change the color IMHO.

I'm surprised how sweet mine tastes, even at 0.998. In the background is a nice, crisp SB though, so hopefully things integrate over time. And, as expected, it tastes very sorbatey as well.

Might do a bench trial with some Tartaric.

This may be one for the headspace eliminator. Backflush with AR then vacuum out headspace and wait for it to clear so I can see if I like the color as is or too dark (add SB, too light add Rose of sorts)

Degassed, PH showed ~2.94 and gravity ~0.994

Stabilized and added remainder of f-pack.
PH ~3.17
Gravity ~1.002

I think that PH is a bit low..

Racked into 6gal plastic carboy and will leave as is with the headspace.

I tend to agree that this will be like a brownish wine, far from Rose but let's see how it looks in a week or so.

Went to the basement and quickly checked on the progress, although I was using a flash light but it looked a bit redish....so maybe this will be a Rose, but let's see how it progresses in a few days...

Racked mine to secondary last night. SG was ~1.01. I just dump it all and fill up that "boy". To my eyes I see a strawberry color in the wine, not brown or oxidized but definitely a reddish hue. Will watch it as it finishes out and begins to clear.

Racked mine to secondary last night. SG was ~1.01. I just dump it all and fill up that "boy". To my eyes I see a strawberry color in the wine, not brown or oxidized but definitely a reddish hue. Will watch it as it finishes out and begins to clear.

You're not that far behind....

I think you said you used all the f-pack up-front?
If so, I wonder where it is going to get its redish color.

Back