calcium carbonate question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwb1963

Junior
Reaction score
I added way too much tartaric acid to my Malbec must right after crush because I misinterpreted the acid test kit color change. Now I have a PH meter and PH test strips, so the color change is irrelevant. PH was 2.99 and TA was 1.025. Too acidic for MLF, so I decided to add a base to lower the acidity. Here are my questions:

Does CaCO3 have a shelf life? Mine is four years old but was never opened.

How long does it take to make a difference?

Is MLF likely to begin after I lower the acidity, or will I have to re-innoculate?

I added about 1/2 the calculated amount to bring the TA down from 1.025 to .70. I was trying to be conservative, since I failed to do that in the first place with my acid additions. But it had very little effect. I took readings a day after stirring in the CaCO3, and came up with PH 3.1 and TA still about 1.025. Should I wait longer? Should I stir again? Or should I just go ahead and add more?

Thanks in advance.
Ken

I have no idea if it has a shelf life but 4 years old is pretty old, I would just buy new. Calcium carbonate works before fermentation.

Calcium carbonate should be an instant and violent reaction if I remember correctly. Think the volcano experiment in first grade if you're in carboys or demijohns.

Latest posts

Back