Bulk storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocco

Reaction score
Other than a barrel what do you recommend for long term bulk storage. I was thinking about a large demijohn. Or a spiedel plastic tank. Or a flex tank.

Are all these good for 1-2 year storage.

Last edited:
I would only use something that has an airlock. Why not just bottle it and not drink it for a few years.

I would only use something that has an airlock. Why not just bottle it and not drink it for a few years.

I bulk age in a carboy with a air lock. Check the air lock from time to time to make sure the liquid hasn't evaporated.

There is a difference between ageing in the bottle and ageing in bulk. In bulk the processes going on in the wine take place on all the wine. In the bottle maybe they happen in some of the bottles. Also, due to the mass of the bulk you are somewhat more impervious to temp fluctuations.

I think the best way to answer your question requires a clarification: do you want the wine to get oxygen exposure or not, thus aging more or less?
One of the pros of bulk aging is that the entire volume of wine experiences a smaller ratio of oxygen intake and slower temperature variations between a similar container of a different size. Thus, bigger ages slower. Yet your choice of container can control the oxygen intake and can also affect aging: small barrels, flextanks, and poorly stoppered containers have high oxygen transfer rates (OTRs); large barrels have lower OTRs, plastic carboys have a very low OTR, and stainless steel, glass carboys, or bottles have an OTR of zero if they have an impermeable stopper. Airlocks have an OTR so the bigger the glass carboy the smaller the OTR affecting the whole volume of wine.
Pick the right container to suit your budget, volume, and aging plans.

I like using demiJohns and beer kegs. Beer kegs being the first choice. Once I am aging I would never use an airlock, solid bung only.

I have a 30 gallon flex, as well as a half dozen carboys. If you have 30 gallons of the same thing, flex is a great vessel, if not glass carboys gives the flexibility for the lower volume. I saw a 15 gallon flex now too...sure would like to have that as well :)

I use glass demijohns and stainless steel tanks with floating lids. I would stay out of plastic if you plan to age the wine for longer time.

Latest posts

Back