bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the wine making and was wondering whatbulk aging means?

Also, when should campden tablets be used?

My first batch I am trying to makeis 15gallons merlot and 15 gallons pinot grigio from fresh juice. I just did the first racking.

Thanks

Bryan

Welcome. Campden tablets are k-meta in solid form tablets and they should be used before fermenting to kill off wild yeasts and then when your wine is stable to prevent your wine from oxidizing along with potassium sorbate to prevent refermentation in the bottle. It will also help with killing off any bacteria before and after fermentation. Bulk aging is leaving your wine in a carboy or vessel that has little headspace to prevent oxidation and to let the wine age in bulk which is good to let the wine age at temps that would not be as good for bottles as its much harder to raise and lower the temp of 6 gallons of wine vs. 750 ml. Temp fluctuations are not kind to bottled wine as the wine will contract and expand which will suck in air through your cork and expel S02 out through your cork causing premature maturation. Bulk aging also helps to let the wine drop any sediment that might not have dropped out yet such as wine diamonds(Tartaric Crystals).

Latest posts

Back