bulk aging white wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrussell

Reaction score
I will be starting my first white wine soon (Yakima Valley Pinot Gris) and have a question. Since you don't oak a white is there any reason to bulk age it? Thanks, Ron

You can age it for a while to help with clarity. They will tend to drop sediment for a number of months. If you filter, you could bottle sooner, but I find if I leave it in the carboy longer it helps with the ageing (cause it's harder to get out and drink while in the carboy).

Ron, Bert and I bulk age for several reasons.
1. Aging. It's harder to drink it when it's in the carboy. If we bulk age it then we might have some left when it's really ready for drinking.
2. Lazy or lack of time. Our wine making operation sat from the end of May until this past month. We have gobs of wine bulk aging though. We remodeled the palace kitchen, then farming and hunting interfered with available time.We're now able to work with the wines again.
3. Sediment When bulk aging you'll often find more sediment dropping to the bottom of the carboy. We like it there instead of in our bottles.
We do have a nice collection of carboys that allows us this freedom.

Yes, Not for as long maybe but yes.
Most of my whites are quick drinkers but I still bulk age them for at least6 months. It gives it time to drop sedement. And each bootle will taste the same. If you bottle early each bottle will taste just a bit differant. Not too bad a thing if you are the one drinking it. As a gift ? witch is the good one?

I was made a convert to bulk aging sometime ago, for the above reasons, and the stability you have by having a larger volume of wine than in bottles. Does it truly make a difference or improvement? Sediment issues absolutely, quality of finished wine, I don't really know or have a definite opinion. If I don't need the carboy I leave it sit.

I do have to admit that sometimes Bert will say to me, "We have to bottle. I want to start another wine and we can't start another wine until we have a caroby available for it." The lesson? BUY MORE CARBOYS!
smiley36.gif

Thanks, looks like I just talked my wife into a new carboy! Your advice is invaluable!

Just One??? I think you will need at least four.Lets say that you drink just one bottle each per week. That is 104 bottles per year. After topping off with your finished wine you get 28 bottles per carboy.

Carboy #1 2 white per year = 56 bottles per year
Carboy #2 1 red per year= 28 bottles per year
Carboy #3 1 red per year= 28 bottles per year
112 bottles per year

If you age a red wine a year and a white wine6 months you would need 3 carboys to keep up, four if you give any wine away. AND SHE WILL!!
smiley36.gif

Hope this post gets you at leasttwo more. Good Luck!!
smiley2.gif

OK.........You come home and your wife is making some kind of treat. (brownies, cookies, cake, ect)
Do say to yourself, "I am going to get a treat!".... NO!!!!! ....You know the cookies are not for you!....... They are for her friends, church orsome party that you are not inviter to.
She will cart the wine off too!
smiley36.gif
Edited by: Rocky Top

OOOOOOOOWWWWWW Brownies Hunny. What's the special occasion. NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO. They are not for you. SSSLLLLAAAAPPPP. Ouch!
They are for my Fatehr..or Brother.... or Sister. Or Mother. Or my friend I haven't talked to in 3 years- but definitely not for YYYYOOOOOOUUUU!!!!!

"They are not for you. SSSLLLLAAAAPPPP. Ouch!"

Thats what happened to me except I ate 1!
smiley36.gif

At work we have a saying. " It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" Not so true at home.

I always found it's good to have at least one more carboy than I have wines aging or getting ready for the secondary. That way if you see that one has thrown some sediment and your not ready to bottle, you have a carboy to rack it into. So thatwould justify at least two for you right there!

Back