Bulk Aging Temps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwatson

Reaction score
Since I live in Florida, the temperature is on the rise now. I am bulk aging my reds (malbec, barolo, chianti, and super tuscan) in a dark closet where the temperature will average 75-77 F. I would prefer to bulk age my wines for at least 3 months with a target of 6 months. Will this temperature range be detrimental for my wines during this aging period? Should I bottle sooner and get them in my wine storage closet of 53 F (I would rather not)?

Thanks.

The biggest thing with temperature is big daily swing in temps.....bulk aging is one way to help this.... Larger volumes won't change temp. as fast as a smaller volume....And it sounds like you are doing the best you can with what you have...It will be OK...Be sure to check your airlocks often and add K-Meta to the wines as needed..

How is your wine storage closet at 53? Is this a coset with a wine fridge in it?

Look for the coolest, quietest dark spot in the house if you can and make that the bulk aging area. Add extra insulation if you can above the area to help keep the heat out and the cool in.Try as best you can to mitigate the temperature swings during a normal 24 hour period.

There is nothing wrong with bottling at 3 months bulk age as long as its clear. Its one thing to bulk age for 6 months in the Winter when things are cooler but you may wish to trim it down to 3 months if it means you can get your wine into a much cooler area if you do.

I found a wine cooler built Eurocave on ebay. It was a great buy and it will hold 200 bottles!

Back