WineXpert Bulk aging/racking question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motomike

Reaction score
I am bulk aging my WE Lodi II Cab and it has been in my cellar for about a month. My intention is to allow it to age in the carboy for at least 6 to 9 months befor bottling. How often, if ever, should I rack off of the lees while it is bulk aging? And if I do rack would you recommend that I top off with a similar cab? If so what cab would you recommend for topping off?

Once you get to the point where the instructions say it's time to bottle, just rack to a clean carboy, adding the extra K-Meta for extended aging. As long as you keep an eye on the level of the airlock, you shouldn't have to rack again until you are ready to bottle.

The only way I would rack is if you are still dropping some sediment. Maybe once after 2 months. But you really shouldn't develop much more lees after you've finished the clearing stage.

BTW - I'm working on this same kit right now...in clearing stage. I think it's really going to be a good one!Edited by: WineNewbie

Any thoughts on topping off? What type (brand)of wine would you recommend? Edited by: Motomike

Any cheap Cab woulb be fine. I have a VR cab I made up that didn't suit me too much that I use to top all dry red kits with.

I was pondering the same thing doing this kit. I certainly do not plan on using water. I will probably use a bottle of one of my prior red kits. Maybe the Aussie Shiraz or Selection Pinot Noir.

I think any decent red will work for you. If you go with commercial, any cheap ($10ish) bottle of cab will do just fine.

Motomike,

Don't forget the option of using glass marbles or some other INERT displacement method instead of topping off. Just an option.

How many marbles are we talking about here? A bag full? 3 or 4?

Where can you find the ones that are not painted?

I am assuming that the marbles will displace an equal amount of wine. I am going to a pet shop today to get some aquariam marbles to do this. I do have one more question regarding this. My SG onmy WE Crushendo Super Tuscanhas remained at 1.000 for 4 days straight. The directions say not to rack or clarify until a SG of .098 What's a poor wine maker to do? I did taste it and it is already showing some good signs! To rack or not to rack that is my question. Edited by: Motomike

I am assuming you have already racked from the bucket and now you are waiting to stablize. Therefore, you should wait until the S.G. drops to .996 before racking and adding the stablizers.

Yes. it is in the carboy for secondary fermentation, how often should I check the SG? like I said, it hasn't moved at all in four days but my wine area is around 66 degrees right now, could that be hindering the fermentation?

The lower temperature will slow the fermentation. If you can warm it up to 70, it would be better.

As a rule, I check specific gravity 7 days after the first racking and again after another 7 days. I never stabilize before day 21.

You should really try to keep the temps up around 70 till it is degassed and cleared especially with a red wine.

Those are rules I have used in the past, but based on recent conversations with Mosti, I will probably accelerate the first racking to the 1.040 S.G. mark.

I will continue to wait at least 21 days before stabilizing as there is no advantage in stabilizing any sooner.Edited by: geocorn

Latest posts

Back