Other Bulk aging and racking?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Famineguy

Reaction score
Have a batch of Malbec (PakLab) on the go. A month ago, I finished degassing and moved it to a cooler are for bulk aging. It is in a plastic Spagnol's carboy that I had used when making wine about 15 years ago. The kit instructions say that I can do and additional (optional) racking before filtration / bottling. Since I am not comfortable with the plastic carboy and have obtained a glass one, I would like to rack it to the glass carboy. Is there an optimal time to do the second racking? Or should I just do it now and get it into a glass container?

Cheers,,
Brian

If you last touched your wine a month ago, then it should be good to go. Rack it over to your glass carboy. Just leave the sediment behind and then top up with wine and let it bulk age some more.

Last edited:
Thanks Putterrr. That is what I have been leaning towards. I would like to get it out of the plastic. I just wanted a second opinion from someone with more experience than I. I will rack it this week.

Cheers,
Brian

Latest posts

Back