Bulk Age or Bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tovis

Reaction score
In my book by Terry Garey, pretty much all of the recipes say to bulk age 6 months check PA and bottle. If the wine appears clear, tastes good, and the PA is good to go - is it okay to bottle or is this done for a reason.

I've read that whites take less time than reds. Most of my whites look ready to go.

This is a mixed crowd Tovis. Some of them have already drank it at the six month mark. The more knowledgable wine makers appear to lean towards one year in the Carboy unless it's a kit wine which could be ready to bottle in as little as six weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

This is a mixed crowd Tovis. Some of them have already drank it at the six month mark. The more knowledgable wine makers appear to lean towards one year in the Carboy unless it's a kit wine which could be ready to bottle in as little as six weeks.

I make mostly kit wines, and I will age those atleast 9 months. 3 on oak, 3 in a now neutral barrel and 3 for a final clearing (damn those campden tabs!!!!).

Are these long extended periods due to the tannin content of grapes? None of these are grape wines.

Excuse me... "The more knowledgably wine makers... " :ft Might it be that some of us are 70+ year olds and just don't want to risk not being able to drink our wine a year down the road? :dg

[I am joking]

Last edited:
I put myself in that group Bkisel. I try to make enough that I have a little something left at the one year mark. I brought in a bottle of blueberry last night that is at the one year mark.

In my book by Terry Garey, pretty much all of the recipes say to bulk age 6 months check PA and bottle. If the wine appears clear, tastes good, and the PA is good to go - is it okay to bottle or is this done for a reason.

I've read that whites take less time than reds. Most of my whites look ready to go.

PA: Potential Alcohol

OK, I am confused.
Why would you be checking the Potential Alcohol "PA" every 6 months? The ABV should not move much after fermentation has ceased.
If the "PA" is different from month to month, you have something active going on while it is aging.

Once you are done fermenting (below SG 1.000) you should K-meta & sorbate (if you plan on sweetening) and the "PA" should remain constant. In fact I dont even use the Hydrometer once fermentation is done, but then again I dont sweeten any of my wines.
:se

I believe that he is using "Potential alcohol" as a stand-in for "Specific gravity," and just saying to make sure the wine is fully fermented before bottling.

Do you bottle after you know fermenting is done? If so what would be the point of bulk aging? I presume The aging is so I can rack to remove setiment.

Wine is alive. Even after fermentation it continues to go through chemical transformations. This is why it can taste different in six months, a year, three years, ten years. those chemical compounds continue to form and reform. And there are a variety of different reasons to want that activity to occur in different situations, e.g. barrel, carboy, bottle. I'll say, I'm having the best time learning about this amazing liquid. And the more I learn about it, the more amazing it gets. :h

Back