Bubbling after back sweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arh13p

Reaction score
I made a BS wine(banana strawberry). Started on 8/18, racked to secondary on 8/24 and again on 9/21 and again on 10/5. I added kmeta, sorbate, and sparkloid on 9/22. I backsweetened by dissolving sugar in a bit of boiling water on 12/5, and today I notice the airlock bubbles every 5 to 8 minutes. The wine looks awesome and is very clear. Why is it still bubbling? It wasn't before back sweetening. Could it be just co2? I never did anything to degas other then wait.

Do you know to what SG you sweetened it? I assume you are talking about an S-shaped airlock and one bubble every 5 to 8 minutes does not seem like re-fermentation to me. I would let it sit for a few days and see if the bubbles cease. I am guessing it is CO2 and maybe some vigorous stirring would help dissipate it but I would still wait a few days or a week and watch it.

Yes it is only 1 bubble. I backsweetened to 1.01 max. It was down to 1.00 on 8/23 so I didn't check sg. I know I only added enough sugar as it were still at 1.00 but all my wines have gone to .995.

I had a similar issue with my carambola wine recently. I degassed a second time and just waited and watched the SG. The SG never moved. It was not refermenting it was just not completely degassed the first time.

In retrospect I think maybe that when I brought the wine upstairs it warmed up to a warmer temp it started release what CO2 was left.

Latest posts

Back