Bubbles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flafemina

Reaction score
A friend gave me a bottle of her homemade wine. I opened last week and it was very tasty however it also tasted like it was slightly carbonated. What causes this and how can it be prevented?

not fully degassed, possibly, it may have not been finished fermenting and it is starting a second fermentation in the bottle.

A friend gave me a bottle of her homemade wine. I opened last week and it was very tasty however it also tasted like it was slightly carbonated. What causes this and how can it be prevented?

To expand a bit on Tom's / Dan's comments, wine starts out as juice and yeast consume the sugar in juice, turning sugar into alcohol. In the process, CO2 gas is given off. Either not all the CO2 was removed in a process called degassing or some the yeast continued to make CO2 afterward.

How do you properly degas wine? I am bulk aging 5 gals now from juice. I don't want the same out come

Degause it at every racking i use a simple drill mounted whip it was less than 10 bucks

How do you properly degas wine? I am bulk aging 5 gals now from juice. I don't want the same out come

Wine degassed naturally over time (aging) without mechanical degassing for centuries. My suggestion is to test the wine first. You know what wine with gas is like now, so take a sip of yours. Alternatively, using a vial (test tube or hydrometer case) take a sample, put your finger over the top and shake. If you get foaming of about an inch or more or there's more than a subtle "poof" when you take your finger off, degas as JD suggests.

I made a simple degassing vacuum from a wine preserver pump some silicone tubing and a bung all the videos I have watched this seems to work great!

Latest posts

Back