Bubbles in red wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abs

Junior
Reaction score
I've bottled a batch of coastal red but it doesn't seem to have turned out right. It seems acidic, overly tannic, and slightly fizzy.
When I decant it for a couple hours tiny bubbles appear on the surface. I followed all the instructions well.
I'm thinking secondary fermentation or I didn't degas it well enough.
What do you guys think?
Thanks
AbsImageUploadedByWine Making1413244480.393557.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1413244492.533085.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Just bottled about a week ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

sounds to me like it needs degassing. If you were to leave it in the carboy for at least 9 mos with the periodic addition of some kmeta to prevent nasties it will release most of the gas itself. Acidic, tannin taste probably cuz its a young wine, I would give it more time

It seems to me with kits (I have never done one, but see people posting about them on here all the time) the salient difference is like using a stopwatch instead of a calendar. Age it in the carboy for months and months and then at least a couple of months in the bottle. The instructions seem to be all geared to time, x number of days to this, then x number of days to that. If the wine isn't finished in x number of days, then you're going to bottle it too early.

Back