Bubbles going into airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcvwines

Junior
Reaction score
I have a slight problem. I racked into a secondary carboy with an airlock today. the wine has been bubbling, but they do not readily pop and have been going through the airlock. The wine is already lower than the neck of the carboy.How do i eliminate this?

You mean the wine has come up into the airlock? and your airlock is full of frothy crap from the fermentation?.. If so, take the bung and airlock off.. clean and resanitise. Boil a spoon and use to remove the froth from the neck of the demijohn/carboy/secondary fermenter .. as much as possible. Leave a piece of cotton in the neck or a clean teatowel over the fermenter at least til the violent fermentation stops. I have had this happen a couple of times, some wine mixes ferment harder and faster than others..(cider and damson plums come to mind..) It may take another 12 hours for that to slow down. Then replace the airlock and ferment out to finish.

Allie

You may have transfered it to early BC. Was youre SG low enough before you transfere it? What did you do when transfering off the primary? What was you SG at that time?
Remove the airlock completely for a while and see what some of the others say. I think you may have moved it to early.
Troy

I dont think i transferred too early. I waited exactly a week and the sg went from 1.090 to 1.010. It is doing what you asked st allie, so i will probably try that. thanks.

I dont think i transferred too early. I waited exactly a week and the sg went from 1.090 to 1.010. It is doing what you asked st allie, so i will probably try that. thanks.
Personally I consider 1.010 to be too early. Wine in the airlock, and spritzing out of the airlock onto the surrounding environment is why I consider it too early. I usually wait till the sg is definitely below 1.005.

Steve

BC, you wil still be okay, just don't be so impatient next time. Where to go from here? Don't know. I was hoping Steve could have answqered that.
Troy

Troy:

Since I don't know what bcvwines is making, I don't know exactly what to suggest. Personally when it happened to me in the past, I did somethiing similar to Allie's advice. (A white towel would end up very pinkish if it was a red.) Otherwise back to the regular program waiting for the ferment to finish below 1.000.

Steve

Steve you taught me the importance of patience. I will never admit ALL of my learning experiences! LOL
Troy

But Troy, what do you do when a kit wine that should have been ready for transfer to carboy two or three days earlier is still at 1.010 and you are leaving town for two weeks the next day? You rack to a carboy, and keep going back all night long to replace the air lock. The air lock was a little pink the next morning before we left town, so we replaced the air lock liquid again and crossed our fingers.

Steve

Back