Cellar Craft Bubble-lock question - more newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJB

Reaction score
Advice needed re sealing the carboy. With my first kit I used a synthetic cork with a hole, with the bubble-lock inserted in it. However this tended to pop out of the carboy. So then I opted for the flexible pop-over seal (a plastic orange dealy) with the bubble-lock inserted, as seen in the attachment. (the golden goodie is my Showcase Viognier, currently in clearing. The shy one to the left is my Amarone, currently aging in her winter jammies - i hope to get better acquainted this summer.)

Problem is these seals have a tendency to leak air, as evidenced by fact that eventually the water levels on each side of bubble-lock will be even. To prevent this i have taken to putting a bead of silicone sealant around top of carboy, before attaching the pop-over seal. I also put a small ring of the sealant around the bubble-lock before inserting it into the seal. This may eventually leak also, but it takes much longer.

I take it that the bubble-lock assembly needs to be airtight right? So how do you more experienced folks handle this?

thanks in advance

Bob
PS sorry if the pic is a little large =:O

IMG_2909.jpg

After you have racked your wine to the carboy, take a clean paper towel and spray it with a bit of sulfite/water solution. Carefully wipe the inside of the carboy opening, and do the same to your bung with airlock already inserted and solution filled.

Insert at a slight angle squeezing between your fingers then straighten and I give mine a little twist securing the bung tightly in the carboy. You probably have too much moisture on the bung or carboy and it is popping out.

Tha carboy caps you are using are not going to be as airtight as you need. Do not use silicone due to the fumes and your wine.

I would use the drilled rubber bung too. Just make sure it inserted tightly and you should have no problems. Do it the way Steve says and it should seal up tight.

If your first bung was popping out, it is likely too big. You might try one that is a half size smaller. It also helps if the bung and carboy neck is dry.

Sometimes, on a wine that is no longer fermenting, you'll see the liquid in the airlock push one way or the other or be flat. This can happen with temperature changes or weather pressure system changes.

You'll save on tape if you grab an old sweater or sweatshirt and throw it over your carboys. If you have a sewing machine, you can make covers pretty easily.
CARBOYCOVER.jpg
[/IMG]

Well... that sure is creative. My wardrobe has many garments (past xmas/birthday gifts etc) which could be pressed into service.
Just gotta be careful which ones I use. =:O

I would also not use silicone on the carboys - and like said above - make sure the neck and the bung are wiped dry - if there is moisture there it will slide it out.

I also twist my bung and give a good snug push - i have never had it pop back out.

Latest posts

Back