Brute Temp Monitoring

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maverick007

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to use a 10 gal. brute for a fermenter. I have an A419 Temp Controller, a fermenting belt and a thermowell. How do I go about suspending the thermowell in the center of the must? Has anyone done this before? Do I need 2 belts?

How munch difference in temp would there be between the center of the must and the edge of the bucket. I would do some measurements to see what the temp differential is , mount the thermowell on the edge of the bucket and adjust the temp setting to accommodate the temp difference to the center. check periodically to adjust controller if necessary.

I concur with Sal. I note that, in general, it is not a good idea to control the temperature of a system based on a location that is in poor thermal contact with the heat source (even if that is the location you care most about). You can get temperature oscillations and you can "overcook" the parts nearer the heat source. Yes, your suggestion of stirring every once in a while should be sufficient.

Back