Brix 21, wet weather, Marquette

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer1

Junior
Reaction score
My Marquette grapes are at 21 brix - I would like to get to 23-24 before picking. If sunshine and 85F weather were predicted, I would certainly wait. We have a week of damp/not so warm (70-80F) weather on tap. I have made the decision to wait another week. The grapes look OK for the most part - some black rot on stems and downed clusters, but most are doing OK. Any thoughts on waiting for a better brix, or picking now and probably not getting great wine.

I’d wait a couple weeks. With my Marquette, I wait for the acid to drop to get the pH into the 3.4s. This usually gets my brix to 24-26, but I’m more a fan of adding acidulated water to drop the brix, than trying to drop the acid.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will wait a week or 2 more. My clusters are in light cloth bags - the best way I have found to limit damage from birds. I found netting way to cumbersome - a nightmare to pull off at harvest time.

Boy, does this sound familiar. Have you measured pH or TA?

H

Rain rain rain for a few days! I have not checked pH or TA yet - if the brix hits 23 this weekend, I'll harvest and check then. I have a very small vineyard, so I don't check pH/TA until I've harvested all the grapes. The main part of the vineyard is only 2-3 years old (about 45 vines) - next year should be my first big year (14 vines are 5 years old).

Yes, I'm in Massachusetts - and has rained here for 3 days - a couple of inches - and a very wet August as well. Flash flood warning now. Oh well - there is always next year. Glad I'm not in North Carolina.

Latest posts

Back