Brew Belts and Glass Carboys?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a couple of heating pads that work well. Just make sure you get the ones that stay on continually.

I have a brewbelt on the way. I'll need it for my next batch. The temp is getting pretty low around here now. The one and only (my first ever) batch doesn't need it since secondary is due to finish on monday. It stays warm next to the my dresser in the bedroom. :) Waking up to a nice wine smell in the morning is refreshing.

My wines overwinter in the living room.
smiley9.gif

Pulled out a heating pad tonight, set on low, started a new kit and will use the brew belt on it. Heating pad is on a kit in secondary. Seems like either the yeast is coming back to life or CO2 is coming off.

Exactly the reason why there are more economical and efficient alternatives to the heating pad idea. For instance: http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3365

There was also a recent post using a ceramic tile in place of the Lexan - should do the same thing for the intent of the application.

Heating pads also can create a fire hazard, especially if the carboy were placed on top of one.

- Jim

Jims idea looks awesome and supposedly even more efficient then the brew belt.

Back