Boudain

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
This is a reference for my good buddy Waldo.

Most boudain is already cooked. It is really just a sausage casing stuffed with rice and meat and seasonings.

To cook it (reheat) you can steam in a pan with a small amount of water. The casing will be white and can get rubbery if cooked too long this way. You can discard the skin and eat the filling.

You can grill it indirectly on your Bbq with the lid closed. Get the temp to a good medium high temp. Put the boudain to the opposite side of your coals/flame and cook for about 10-15 minutes ( check at 10 min mark). Finish by crisping the skin over direct heat as you would regular sausage.

Cut with a sharp serrated knife into bite sized pieces. Enjoy.

Lastly, you can cook it in the oven line a pan with aluminum foil (for ease of cleaning). Spray lightly with non stick cooking spray and cook in your oven for 15 minutes at 375•F. You do not need to turn it.

The skin can burst open just like sausage. Do not worry and enjoy your boudain.

Oh man I love that stuff Gaudet, didn't know the name of it. A couple of years ago someone came back from the south and brought some, we had it for breakfast with pancakes.

Now have to search for a recipe.

Y'all must spell it different down the road in N.O. than here.
smiley36.gif
Here it is spelled Boudin. We steam it as well. I like it on the grill as well. My 8 year old daughter who won't hardly eat anything loves boudin.

Boudin.jpg

What thuh hell kinda grill you got there smurfe..I swear man them heating coils look pink and I have not had one..no..not even one glass of wine today
smiley36.gif

gaudet said:
This is a reference for my good buddy Waldo.

Most boudain is already cooked. It is really just a sausage casing stuffed with rice and meat and seasonings.

To cook it (reheat) you can steam in a pan with a small amount of water. The casing will be white and can get rubbery if cooked too long this way. You can discard the skin and eat the filling.

You can grill it indirectly on your Bbq with the lid closed. Get the temp to a good medium high temp. Put the boudain to the opposite side of your coals/flame and cook for about 10-15 minutes ( check at 10 min mark). Finish by crisping the skin over direct heat as you would regular sausage.

Cut with a sharp serrated knife into bite sized pieces. Enjoy.

Lastly, you can cook it in the oven line a pan with aluminum foil (for ease of cleaning). Spray lightly with non stick cooking spray and cook in your oven for 15 minutes at 375•F. You do not need to turn it.

The skin can burst open just like sausage. Do not worry and enjoy your boudain.

THANKS BUDDY....For everyone info..I called Michael at 6;30am this morning to get cooking instructions for the boudain one of my co workers had just showed up with that he had picked up in Opelousas, LA yesterday evening.

Waldo said:
What thuh hell kinda grill you got there smurfe..I swear man them heating coils look pink and I have not had one..no..not even one glass of wine today
smiley36.gif

Waldo, it is an old Jenn-Air cook top grill. Yeah, those coils photo weird. They are cherry red when I use it. I can't get coild for this model anymore so when they go, I will have to buy a new grill.

I spell it either way. I bet Scotty could make some for Lake DeGray

Those coils are used to cook medium rare with.

So Waldo, how was the boudain?

Cooking it up this morning to take to work with me gaudet. We will be having it for a breakfast brunch if you will. Serving it with some flatbread crackers with sesame, poppy and caraway seed and just a touch of garlic along with some nice jalapeno cheddar cheese

Just reading that made me both slobber and cholesterol rise
smiley17.gif

Thanks gaudet
OK ..I prepared the boudain per gaudets' instructions and it was absolutely awesome.
Kat and My friends at work concured !!
Nothing like good Boudain to kick your morning off !!

IMG_4763.jpg

IMG_4764.jpg

Tried a different varation yesterday evening and it was absolutely awesome.
I made stuffed bell peppers using the boudain. Didnt get any pictures but I hulled the peppers, added a little grated cheddar cheese to the bottom portion of the peppers, filled almost to top with the boudain and then topped them off with some Rotel. Covered with foil and Baked in oven at 350 for 50 minutes,Removed from oven and sprinkled more cheese on top.

Waldo did you make it from the real parts or substitute with more easy to find parts?

after just having made about 10lbs of Andouille today, I thought I'd look up the posted Boudin recipe. Up here in the pacific Northwest, we just can't get good Andouille at all, and boudin is impossible to find! Anyone with sausage making dreams could come up here and corner the market! There is 1 small family shop that does make decent andouille, but they almost always sell out.

Anyway, here is an amazing boudin recipe:

Hot Boudin (Makes 4 pounds)
4-5 cups water
3 1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 pounds pork butt cut into 2-inch chunks. Keep some fat on the meat too!
4 bay leaves
2 whole fresh chile peppers like jalapeno
2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 pinch of dried thyme
1 large onion quartered
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground sage
1 tsp ground thyme
1/8 tsp ground allspice
pinch of ground mace (nutmeg can substitute)
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
3/4 cup finely chopped green onions
medium hog casings

Combine the water and 1 tsp of the salt in a saucepan large enough to hold the pork along with any bones or scraps. Bring the liquid to a boil and add the bay leaves, pork, chile peppers, 1 tsp of the black pepper and the pinch of dried thyme. Return the liquid to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, over low heat for about 1 hour or until the pork is very tender. Add the onion and cook for 5 to 7 minutes more until it too is tender. Strain the mixture, but keep the liquid!

Transfer the onions, meat, and everything to a platter to cool and discard the peppers and bay leaves. Measure out 1 1/2 cups of the liquid and combine with the rice in a pot and cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.

Now, in a meat grinder with 1/4" plate, grind the cooked pork and onions in large mixing bowl. If you don't have a grinder, you can cut the pork into smaller chunks and process in a food processor in 15 second increments until cut fine, yet still chunky.

Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, cayenne, sage, thyme, allspice, mace, parsley, the remaining 1 tsp of black pepper and 2 1/2 tsp of salt, along with the green onions and cooked rice to the meat mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until it is well blended. Taste and correct with more salt if needed. Cool this mixture in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. When ready, stuff into casings, or if you wish, you can leave it in bulk and eat it just like that. I prefer casings.

Boudin is quite perishable and should not be kept in the fridge for longer than 3 or 4 days. You can freeze it, and it will keep for 3 or 4 months.

This stuff is awesome steamed with a nice cold beer!

Back